Should Cycle Helmets Be Legal?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
T

tombikess

I'm at the north end of Lancashire - tend to do south Lakes, Yorkshire Dales, Trough of Bowland - touring bike, though, not mountain bike. I think one of my road routes round the Trough goes near Gisburn...

Yeah, I've ridden at dalby forest and glentress, and im not sure about glenterss, but gisburn forest beats dalby hands down in my opinion. And id love to go on a road ride, its just I cant afford a road bike, and i'm not sure i could keep up on a mountain bike with slicks.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Yeah, I've ridden at dalby forest and glentress, and im not sure about glenterss, but gisburn forest beats dalby hands down in my opinion. And id love to go on a road ride, its just I cant afford a road bike, and i'm not sure i could keep up on a mountain bike with slicks.

You'd keep up with me - I'm old enough to be your grandmother!! :laugh:

Arch

Married to Night Train
I'm loving the irony of someone saying helmets should be compulsory, but I'll choose when I wear gloves...

If the Dutch manage without helmets, which they mostly do, it's good enough for me.

OP
OP
T

tombikess

100 is my top mileage so far. Definitely faster than me!

These were hired road bikes though? So who knows what id be like on a mountain bike with slicks, it ways 29lbs i think, so not too bad, and its not a giant downhill machine, so maybe something to try one day

OP
OP
T

tombikess

I'm loving the irony of someone saying helmets should be compulsory, but I'll choose when I wear gloves...

If the Dutch manage without helmets, which they mostly do, it's good enough for me.

Yes, but in the netherlands, particularly Amsterdam, there is a comparatively small amount of cars, and in the city centre of amsterdam, theres an incredibly strict speed limit for cars, and bikes have the right of way, so most people ride bikes. And for a bike on bike crash, I think chances are death arent huge, its a bike on car that I believe is dangerous, so obviously we have a different problem the the Dutch.

And as for gloves, there havent been many deaths from people grazing there hands that could have been prevented by wearing gloves. I forget his name, but whilst i was watching the fort bill world cup, there was this one downhiller that always ride without gloves (they said on the commentary) , and whilst this is stupid, it kind of goes to show that you can do without them, and this guy DOES wear a ff helmet, although i guess that is regulation, but i digress.

Benthedoon

Aaah the old 'lid or no lid' up there with the 'i-pod or no i-pod' argument, who fancies going round in circles for a while?
I'm hated and I'm going to die because on a good ride I listen to music whilst not wearing a lid, I'm hell bound for eternity.

snorri

Legendary Member
in the city centre of amsterdam, theres an incredibly strict speed limit for cars, and bikes have the right of way, .............. so obviously we have a different problem the the Dutch.
Perhaps we in the UK should be adopting some of these measures, a topic for your next video perhaps ;) .

OP
OP
T

tombikess

Perhaps we in the UK should be adopting some of these measures, a topic for your next video perhaps ;) .

We discussed this in georgraphy class, hence why i know about it, and personally as a cycle rider, i think great idea, especially in london, but fat old pie man, perhaps, John Prescott on the commute, I'm not sure this would work.

Don't be so naive!

Why tackle the real problems when you can blame the victims for the injuries inflicted and expect them to provide protection that is not proven to work?

Top Bottom