Should cyclists be subject to the same drink laws as drivers when on the roads?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

young Ed

Veteran
2845510 said:
Fret not young Ed, there is. As mentioned in this thread more than once already, S.30 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 has it covered.
sorry couldn't be bothered to read 227 posts! :tongue: but thanks for informing me :biggrin:
Cheers Ed

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Could the same thing not be said about people who WALK after consuming alcohol? You are suggesting the use of a sledgehammer to crack a nut IMO..
There are laws pertaining to people who walk after consuming acohol - well, sufficient alcohol to be drunk. Just being drunk in a public place is an offence. You don't have to be disorderly.

And no, you can't drive a steam engine while drunk, to all of you thinking of exploiting a loophole. Or be in charge of horses or cattle. It's da law.

I'd have thought that a drunk on a bike would be significantly more danger to themselves and others than a drunk on foot. But the drunk at the wheel is so much more of a danger than either that it really does warrant special specific laws.

Incidentally, I was driving in Finland one morning and there was a police checkpoint where every car driver was being breathalysed. Only took a few seconds. A good idea I thought. But if they tried it here there would no doubt be prolongled bleating from the Top Gear tendency (and on here too, if it included cyclists ;) )

I can't be bothered to read any posts on this thread, but a few years ago in Bethnal Green I got so drunk on Urainian vodka I cycled three miles then fell sideways and my face smashed against the kerb and I broke my nose. Think on.

snorri

Legendary Member
I'm not only a better cyclist when I'm drunk, I'm also much wittier, more intelligent and decidedly better looking than when I'm sober. Sometimes my stories are so funny I have to repeat them again and again to be sure everyone has heard just how funny it is. I get so good looking and attractive that I think it intimidates a lot of women who shy away from me, probably because they don't think they'd stand a chance. It's ok I tell them, I'm not that fussy, but still they don't feel like they can bring themselves to ask me home for "coffee".
It's truly baffling.
I take your point regarding drunkeness in general, , but my reply was in direct response to a claim from Linf that he often cycles at 50mph on a public road, I don't believe I have ever indulged in such risky behaviour either sober or after a drink.:smile:

Hip Priest

Veteran
I nearly got right-hooked at speed whilst cycling drunk. After that, I resolved never to do it again, because although the driver would've been 100% at fault, the news reports would've focused on the fact that I was three sheets to the wind.

Linford

If nothing else, this thread demonstrates that the laws for cycling when drunk or under the influence of drugs are fairly inadequate. If people want to use the highways with a vehicle, then irrespective of what that is, they should all be subject to the same penalties.

ACQPL

2842625 said:
The law already exists. A person can be prosecuted for being drunk in charge of a bicycle.

Could I point out, as far as I'm aware, not drunk in charge, it's drunk whilst cycling...
Under section 35 of the offences against the persons act 1861 - ‘Wanton’ or ’furious’ cycling is a criminal offence. This is however, only valid when the offence did not take place on a road or bridleway and resulted in bodily harm to someone else. Usually only ever used when it has caused serious injury or a fatal collision.. Be careful on those unlit bridleways on the way home from the pub :rolleyes:

Under the Road Traffic act, there are a few more that raise eyebrows.. If someone actually got convicted, they would have to be cycling to a very low standard.. The RTA covers cycling without due care, unfit through drink or drugs and a few others..
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/part/I/crossheading/cycling-offences-and-cycle-racing

Top Bottom