Should Egan Bernal swallow his pride and retire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wakemalcolm

Legendary Member
Location
Ratho
It's contract renewal year for Egan and unless you've got a fetish for having your sponsor's colours obscured by the Columbian jersey, I can't see the offers matching the expectations set by his historical palmares.

The distribution of his points haul also suggests a long declining end tail.

Maybe there'll be a mountain domestic flourish to the end of his career. Maybe he'll become a mentor for Noval.

Hope he gets to operate on his own terms.
 

Pblakeney

Über Member
Just goes to show that anyone's career can be (effectively) ended by a single crash.
 
Location
Widnes
I have seen a few top sports people who just keep going on and on

and sometime people comment that they should retire

But I saw an interview once with an ex England rugby forward - one that was always in the thick of it

and he was playing for his clubs 5th team many years after his International career finished

he said he still enjoyed playing so he kept playing
just at a lower level

I remember my Mum saying that her Uncle (I think ) played Water Polo for England and just kepy playing
but stopped when he realised that the temptation to "play dirty" got too strong
he said he had see olderplayers that just got dirty to keep winning and he refused to go that way

I suppose it depends on your mind set

Just remembered - saw a few seconds of an interview with Geraint Thomas a while ago - he said he hasn;t been on a bike in ages!
 

CarbonClem

Senior Member
Might there be a scenario where even if he takes a pretty low wage, he'll be earning much more than he might do otherwise? No idea what he qualifications/skills/experience in any other area is, nor the demand for punditry/ds'ing he could provide, but maybe just riding a bike is all he can do ... for now anyway.
 
But I saw an interview once with an ex England rugby forward - one that was always in the thick of it

and he was playing for his clubs 5th team many years after his International career finished

he said he still enjoyed playing so he kept playing
just at a lower level
I saw a clip recently of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_James_(footballer,_born_1970) scoring a goal for a Sunday league team!
There's nothing stopping athletes enjoying their sport forever. Except their minds, it seems ...
 

phreak

Senior Member
It would be lovely if he could have a Carapaz-style end to his career.
 

phreak

Senior Member
Would be nice but Carapaz has been a fox all of his career. Just don't see the tactical nouse from Egan.

Yeah, it's certainly easier said than done. He's done okay in one day races in the past, with good finishes in Strade Bianche, LBL, Lombardia, and dell'Emilia. He's not a complete Froome or Vingegaard who seem to rely on their physical gifts.
 

CarbonClem

Senior Member
Yeah, I fear for G. Am worried that he'll end up the size of a house now that all year's the off season.

I'm never sure about these statements. Certainly on The Tour he was reccing the TT with Ganna, out riding with SDB etc. I reckon they play it down a bit or maybe lose some perspective on normailty regarding bike riding?
 
Top Bottom