Should everyone have to resit their driving test every five years?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Why does it have to be one or the other? Why not both? Why not retesting and greater enforcement?
see #245

classic33

Leg End Member
Education? I am not talking about education. I am talking about putting people in simulators and testing them for a good length of time under varied conditions. Long enough that most people will struggle to keep up an act.
One problem with putting people in simulators, that even airforces realise, you can kill as many you want and walk away not having injured anyone.

I passed the theory side, easy enough. I've also "passed" the driving test in a simulator. Granted it wasn't up their with the airplane simulators in quality, but there was no need to be. Will there be different models available as per their aircraft counterparts? I'd say the interiors of no three vehicles(Different models) on the road are the same.

I'm not able to drive, so I've never bothered about it. I've accepted years ago, it wasn't going to happen. That puts me in a minority on here.

Its not stopped licence applications being made, nor someone actually sitting the test in my name. That last part has a rate of £400-£500 round here, for a normal licence.

Why not cut those out first. They're on "the system" as having sat & passed, so should be easy enough to find. Then move onto those who passed, but are now driving without insurance, tax or MOT.

This thread has gone from a re-test, which would end in either a yes or a no, to a re-assessment, meaning further training required & not a simple yes or no.

The opportunity to have a time limit on the licence has raised its head a number of times over the years. I think the last time it was raised it was a case of all newly qualified drivers only being affected. What came out of that, the photo ID licence.

gavgav

Guru
Mod note: Split from https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/100-year-old-driving-school.224291/

Everyone should have to resit their driving test every five years. If you don't pass you lose your license. I don't care if you're a 'professional driver' and you'll lose your job. I don't care if you live in the country with no buses. I don't care for whatever excuse you come up with. Driving is a privilege - not a right.
Whilst I think the idea has merit, there simply isn’t the resource to implement this.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Again, it’s not anecdata. It’s a response to your somewhat erroneous suggestion that:
We now have a sample size of two bits of anecdata. One of which I'm not familiar with (but I understand is evidence based), one of which I know quite a lot about, know is definitely not evidence based and believe is ineffective.

Given the size of the universe of domains I suspect a more nuanced approach might be more useful.

srw

Cars make our world a less pleasant, and more dangerous place in general

That's an untested assertion for which I think there's little evidence and less public support.

It's certainly true in some domains - many cities for instance - but outside of that narrow sphere I think you'd struggle to justify it.

srw

Walking on a country lane?
Yes, but don't you think that's still a bit narrow? I'd hoped that you'd at least have extended to the destruction of public transport and an obesity crisis in children.

Other people's cars more often make our world less pleasant and more dangerous than our own. Our own cars usually make our world more pleasant, because they open up pleasurable journeys that would otherwise be unavailable. The danger point of our own cars is probably moot.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I am including my own driving, which I always set out to find a pleasurable and liberating experience but which very seldom fails to disappoint.
By nature of my disposition I set out in SE England expecting to find a disagreeable, stressful, pleasure free experience and it usual manages to deliver beneath my low expectations....

Top Bottom