Should he/will he be allowed to drive?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I am not sure you have read the thread.

The theme isn't about blaming any group for road traffic accidents or deaths: it is all about protecting people, including the drivers themselves, from the decline of driving ability associated with ageing. We aren't talking about a tiny minority here, either. We are actually talking about virtually every single driver on the road, at some stage of their lives. There is no attempt to stigmatise anyone, however much you seem to want it to be so. This is a real, every-day, heartbreaking, but deadly serious situation.

Taking someone's keys off them can actually signal the end of their independent lives, so it isn't to be undertaken lightly. However, there is their own good to consider, as well as the health and well-being of members of the road-using public. Thus the thoughtful tone of this thread, which you have somehow missed.

yebbut - the OP's description was of an old and unwell man, but no particular statement on whether he was or wasn't capable - then a a swathe of replies along the lines of "my great aunt nellie drove into a fence" - with a bit of an unstated implication that old people in general shouldn't drive. That's how it read to me anyway.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
It isn't an easy subject at all to discuss. Think how it must be for your parent, who must see his or her roll changing. At one time they are the parent and you are the child. Suddenly that appears to change In that you become the parent In some ways.

Everyone is different. Our relationhips with out parents are all different from each other. Our family dynamics are all different. It is a very difficult decision to make and I take my hat off to anyone who is prepared to confront they're parent with the hard and often difficult truth.

It is also a devastating time for our parents who must feel a terrible loss of independence.

and I agree, not everyone over the age of 70 is Incapable of driving.

MikeG

Guru
.....with a bit of an unstated implication that old people in general shouldn't drive.........

That's the bit which suggests you are seeing what you want to see, or, that you haven't read the thread. I can see no evidence of generalising about old people's driving whatsoever.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Although it was me what pitched it on the thread, I can't see the political will from any of the main parties and the Kippers would have an aneurysm!

In my imaginary world, the idea would be that the retest would be as much a refresher for current driving conditions/vehicle capabilities and law changes (i.e killing a cyclist does not mean you get a prize) than a simple pass/fail. If you performed badly, you wouldn't necessarily lose your licence straight away, but be expected to undo further training at your own expense followed by a pass-fail retest. You could also hit people with higher insurance if they perform poorly. I'd fund it by charging people to throw stuff at Michael Gove. Vote Bollo!
You could fund loads of things that way!

Top Bottom