Should he/will he be allowed to drive?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Young drivers have far better reflexes than the more mature amongst us - no doubt that's why they have fewer accidents - er, oh, hang on...

Two extremes. Different problems. Same outcomes. Oh boy....

It was a sad day when I took my Dad's car off him, after he sailed oblivious straight through a red light at a busy junction, I couldn't stand by and let him cause a serious spill, although he was still legally able to drive at the ripe old age of 88, in reality his driving days should have been ended in his 70s, where he would have failed any kind of driving test :ohmy:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
We are now my in-laws main taxi service. FiL handed his licence back at 79 as much as anything because his car was beyond help & failing constantly. All his kids & co had been tactfully on at him for a few years of near misses and bounced kerbs, the grandkids refused to ride with him anymore so when he came to ask if we could do the shopping run with them & take them to and fro when they needed, it was an easy chat to have, albeit a double edged sword for us as the geographically closest family to them

Ganymede

Veteran
I was so glad when my dad decided to stop driving. He still wanted to renew his driving licence a couple of years later, as he was worried about having no official ID (he hasn't renewed his passport and never expects to need it again). However, there is a clause in the renewal that enables the DVLA to get a report from the applicant's doctor if any of the health boxes are ticked (iirc) and I made him tick the "severe memory problems" box as by then he had the beginnings of dementia. (In fact he wasn't really capable of concentrating well enough to do the form alone.) The renewal was refused.

MarkF

Guru
Sad times, my late father drove like he was in Wacky Races in his last year of driving, he had (unknown to us) alzheimer's.

Ganymede

Veteran
My SiL won't let her children get in the car with our FiL. I don't blame her! FiL tells us that you shouldn't signal on roundabouts as "it all happens automatically". Shudder.... think he's had a licence since about 1948...

Sara_H

Guru
I know I'm going to have a hard time saying my driving (or cycling) days have gone. .
I was out on the bike yesterday and spotted a little old lady in a wheelchair, I was thinking how sad I'll be when I'm no longer able to ride. Won't miss driving at all though.

MikeG

Guru
It's a terrible responsibility as family or next of kin which you mustn't shirk. If your elderly relatives aren't fit to drive (and it really doesn't take long see the evidence), then either persuade them to give you the keys or sell the car, or ring up their doctor and tell them. He can certify them unfit. Although this can be a real blow to the person concerned, it would be a far bigger blow to kill an innocent 3rd party.

Ganymede

Veteran
It's a terrible responsibility as family or next of kin which you mustn't shirk. If your elderly relatives aren't fit to drive (and it really doesn't take long see the evidence), then either persuade them to give you the keys or sell the car, or ring up their doctor and tell them. He can certify them unfit. Although this can be a real blow to the person concerned, it would be a far bigger blow to kill an innocent 3rd party.

I think that you're right. If my dad hadn't ticked that box I would have talked to his doctor (I have power of attorney anyway).

I am just thinking back and wondering if I ticked that box for him.... :blush: I honestly don't remember myself, but then I do take after him :eek:

Lance Jack

Über Member
I now deliver to a rural housing estate populated by mainly elderly people. I now know that once or twice a week one of them will pull out of the shops without looking, or looking but pausing for too long before pulling out, this is what my dad does, as I drive past. I have also nearly been run over on the pavement a couple of times where they pull off the drive across the pavement without looking.
Poor driving creeps up on the elderly, they don't wake up one morning and have a death wish on the roads. One day my daughter may say to me about my driving, I hope I remember this post and hand her the keys.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
The real answer is of course, "it depends". age per se isn't or at least shouldn't be the issue,. Basically is he still up to it is the question, or more precicsely is he still up to driving in the conditions and places he chooses to drive. I say my dad is basically Ok to drive short journeys on roads he knows in daylight - but not OK to drive long journeys at night or unfamiliar places. He quite sensibly self-selects what he feels is safe for his abilities - he might also drive rather slowly and in a dithery manner, but again, that's arguably less hazardous than someone in their prime driving to their own limits (or beyond).

Not so long ago I did a caving trip with 2 guys in their twenties and an 84 year old - let's just say it wasn't the 80 year old left gasping at the end - so it isn't just age. I don't know if the stalwart Monsieur Marchand still drives, but boy, he can still cycle

Top Bottom