Should I be seduced by Ribble?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tiswas-steve

Über Member
Before I got my Cube Agree GTC Race I had my heart set on a Ribble Sportive Bianco, the Ribble had great reviews across the board but something in the back of my mind just didn't like the idea of buying a bike online without trying it out before-hand plus I was reading horror stories about their customer services regarding issues such as late deliveries Etc . So if it's worthwhile I,ll go for the LBS purchase ...... ( whispers into your shell like.... Get the Cube, get the Cube,get the Cube )

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
OK, I'm in the market for a new bike. The financial controller has given tacit agreement for said purchase and I've muttered something along the lines of about £1500 when pressed about cost.

Just checking by financial controller you mean the other half and not the financial controller at work for C2W? as the limit is £1000 for C2W.

Good luck with choosing a bike, i cannot offer advice in that price bracket but i have a baordman and the top of the performance series is the pro carbon ..

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/road/road_pro_carbon.html

OP
OP
Winnershsaint
Yes Cyberknight I do mean the other half. In her good books at moment having bought her an iPad 2 as a birthday present. Anyway to round this off the bike is chosen and I am off to LBS to seal the deal shortly on a Ridley Orion Special Edition, which I thought they had sold out of as none were being displayed. Turns out they had one of each size delivered at the end of July. The only decision to be made is whether it's a small or medium frame. The bike is basically Ultegra kitted with 4ZA Stratos cockpit, wheels etc. Latter's not ideal, but eminently upgradeable next year. Was tempted to upgrade the wheels now but I will go with what is on there, upgrade next spring and have a pair of winter wheels. Will probably swap Vredestein tyres for Conti GP4000s. £200 off RRP of £1800 makes it an attractive proposition.
Ultimately going to the LBS buys you a whole lot more than just a bike. The level of service I've had whenever i've taken the Cube in has been brilliant. It's the little niggly things that get sorted while you wait at no expense, save the purchase of gels or drinks or a bottle as a gesture of thanks. I am aware that this simply could not be replicated with a mail order/online bike and that kind of swayed my decision. Right I'm off. Happy days!

OP
OP
Winnershsaint
I hope your new bike is as much fun as mine !!

Yeah I hope so too. Collecting it Monday morning. Can't wait. Will be out and about with it on Tuesday as a mate is doing a recce of part of the Henley Challenge (ironman) cycle route, so I've said I'd go with him. Looking forward to putting it through its paces. I suppose I ought to have some kind of fancy tag on my posts along the lines of "We are Belgium" and "Tested on pave" but I won't

OP
OP
Winnershsaint
Sounds like you've got a great deal there, and it got a good review in C+ recently.

I went back to the C+ review to help me decide. OK even accounting for journo superbole, I was impressed by, "the Orion is both assured and exciting," and, "combining this level of road buzz-reducing smoothness and great power transfer is quite an achievement," This implied to me that this was one good frame even with 105 and not Ultegra on it. When I really sat down and looked at what my cycling demands were, I came to the conclusion that I wanted the best bike fit for me, I wanted the personal service my LBS offers, and I looked at myself. I'm 54 in a few months time, a year into this road cycling obsession, My capacity to go hugely faster is probably limited, so I might as well go for the fun and enjoyment angle, and that was the determining factor in my choice. That said I am more than a little tempted to try a 10 mile TT on it, just to see...................................

OP
OP
Winnershsaint
FWIW Ridley Orion news.
Was hoping to do an update including an initial impression but unfortunately things haven't quite gone to plan. Initially at LBS it looked like I needed a medium size, but the guy there who knows about these things said I would be better with a small size frame as they come up big. Unfortunately what he thought he had in stock as a small Orion SE, but turned out to be a bog standard Orion with 105 kit. Still a nice bike but not what I wanted. So a they made a call to Belgium and are getting a small Orion sorted as a SE, but it won't arrive until Friday. I will be on a plane to Hurghada then so I have something really good to look forward to on my return. As an aside the Orions do really come up big. I will need a shorter stem, but everything else as far as fitting is seriously spot on with the small frame. Will pick it up on 27th. Can't wait. In the meantime it'll be plenty of swimming (at least 1K per day front crawl in pool), snorkelling and reading as I recharge the batteries.

OP
OP
Winnershsaint
http://www.decathlon...et-7-175386346/

£1800 Ultegra, RS80 wheels.

Would I touch Zondas? No.

That's a lot of bike from a general sports goods chain. Just goes to prove there are lots of bargains out there. What has impressed me is the huge number of cf bikes offering great value with good kit there are. That said, when all is said and done I've got what my initial gut reaction said should be my next bike. The deciding factor in all of this has been the LBS. Yes they may have boobed a bit on the Orion SE, but I suspect I won't lose out, and I know the quality of aftercare will be top notch. Also the fitting thing has reinforced my nervousness about going for mail-order/internet. That Ridley will fit me perfectly.

Bloomy2k

I recently bought my Ribble Stealth through cyclescheme. When Ribble received the voucher they phoned me up and told me the bike would be built in 2-3 weeks, which is what I'd expected. During that time I changed my mind on a few bits and pieces (upgraded groupset, seat stem and wheels) and Ribble where fine with it - replying to my e-mails on the same day they were sent. Received my bike just under 3 weeks later. So for me Ribble have provided a good level of customer service.

flea

I just wanted to add my experience with Ribble in case it's of interest.

I looked around and settled on a Ribble Sportive Bianco with SRAM - great reviews and a fantastic spec for the money. I saw this (and other) threads and was a bit nervous about buying given the experience of some.

I was concerned about the sizing of the frame as the two ways of measuring on the site (by height, by inside leg) gave two different sizes. I thought the small sounded too small. I emailed Ribble and got two replies that afternoon explaining that the small frame would suit me best. I wanted some additional info and, as invited to in one email, I rang and they went through the calcs with me.

I finally saved my pennies and put in an order on 13th Jan. I got an email on 19th Jan saying it had been dispatched. I received it today - 11 days from order to receipt.

Obviously I comment on the returns process as I won't need to use it (they were right about the frame size) but the only nitpicking fault I can raise is that a tracking number would have been nice so I had a better idea of when it was coming. the three day wait since getting the dispatch notice has been agony :smile: !

Top Bottom