Should I be seduced by Ribble?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OK, I'm in the market for a new bike. The financial controller has given tacit agreement for said purchase and I've muttered something along the lines of about £1500 when pressed about cost. The reality is that my LBS stocks Cube and Ridley, and until a week ago it was came down to a straight fight between Cube Agree CTC Pro ( I already own a Cube by the way) and the Ridley Orion and then my neighbour who hails from the north-west and used to regard Ribble as his LBS suggested that I take a look. So what I've come up with for less than £1800 is a Ribble New Sportive Racing with Campy Athena groupset and Zonda wheels shod with Conti GP4000S, a Fizik Arione saddle and an ITM carbon seatpost. this is seriously more bike than I will ever need, but by the same token looks a bargain. Something in the back of my mind says that this is too good to be true. I am aware that people have had issues with Ribble with regards to customer service, so in essence do I stick with my relaible LBS or effectively get the dream bike for around the same dosh?

I bought a 7005 frame Ribble and had no problems what so everl, although I'm only 20 minutes from their premises so I was able to collect it. Most of the issues I've ever read seem to revolve around despatch times and lack of care on the telephone.

If you are hellbent on carbon why not go for a Focus Cayo? Or better still go for a CANNONDALE CAAD10, lighter than carbon and without any potential carbon related issues :whistle:

[takes cover and awaits incoming flak]

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
I bought a 7005 frame Ribble and had no problems what so everl, although I'm only 20 minutes from their premises so I was able to collect it. Most of the issues I've ever read seem to revolve around despatch times and lack of care on the telephone.

If you are hellbent on carbon why not go for a Focus Cayo? Or better still go for a CANNONDALE CAAD10, lighter than carbon and without any potential carbon related issues :whistle:

[takes cover and awaits incoming flak]

Try getting it repaired. That's not saying i wouldn't have one, by the way.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
No idea about Ribble's service RE bikes, but Athena & Zondas are great. £1800 is a brilliant price if the frame's even half decent. I'd have a look around elsewhere though- Planet X usually have some great deals going, Decathlon do some excellent value carbon bikes, and +1 on looking at the Cayo, and also Wiggle's Verenti Rhigos models. If you can find another £250 this is a great buy.. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/verenti-rhigos01/

Try getting it repaired. That's not saying i wouldn't have one, by the way.

eh up DB! I know ali is difficult to weld but I still think I'd rather get ali welded than cf fettled, but let's be honest, what's the odds of either needed such drastic action :whistle:

[smokey embarks on journey around house touching every wooden thing he can find :tongue: ]

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
eh up DB! I know ali is difficult to weld but I still think I'd rather get ali welded than cf fettled, but let's be honest, what's the odds of either needed such drastic action :whistle:

[smokey embarks on journey around house touching every wooden thing he can find :tongue: ]

It's not just that it's ali but EXTREMELY thin walled ali. anything other than dropout mither and you won't get anyone apart from potty pete to look at it.

Keep at it bro :thumbsup:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Ribble bike just seduced me
laugh.gif

I have a New Ribble Sportive fitted with SRAM Rival groupset and Mavic Ksyrium Elites and I am very pleased with it. The frame is very long and low and offered me a few physical problems early on given that my previous ride was a very relaxed (geometry) Giant Defy 3. All setttled now and I love it. More still for the gortex cabling I recently had upgraded and the SRAM shifts a treat :biggrin: .

I think to be fair the deals when you decide to build your own are less of a deal than when you buy a Special Edition but the thing to remember is that both the previous Ribble Sportive frame and the New Ribble Sportive have both been given excellent reviews, so why not build your own like you've obviously decided to do.

The customer service I found pretty good. I changed the stem length and they gave me a discount on a new one some months later. I also needed to send the frame back because the very wrong opinion of the LBS told me there may be a problem with the facing. Their customer service effectively got me a refund from my LBS for a bottom bracket that didn't need replacing. And yes it was frustrating at times but aren't all largish companies that seem to be doing well just so, over the phone atleast? Built up quite a rapport with one of the mechanics there and have no hesitation in recommending them if this is the bike you want, if the only hesistancy surround their customer service.

Good luck mate and any decision you'll make will be the right one I'm sure.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I will never, ever, ever give Ribble any more of my money.

Their customer sevice is appalling. Shame really, as their bikes are nice.

OP
OP
Winnershsaint
Just what I'd thought I'd get. Mixed opinions. Without wanting to be too nosey , I'd be interested to know the nature of the bad experiences the last two posters had with these people. It doesn't make deciding any easier especially if you throw the ROSE Carbon Pro-RS 3000 at just under £1700 into the mix. Appreciate all the other suggestions, with Regards to Verenti Rhigos the 02 looks good value, but I'm not sure i like the look of it with the white lugs

monnet

Guru
In answer to the bad experiences questions, I'll give my considered view.

Ribble is a business not a bike shop. Ask any serious cyclist in the North West (or in fact any serious bikeshop in the country) and they've all heard of Ribble/ CyclesportNorth (the trade outlet arm) and all have stories of how the company operates. There are some pretty grim stories and some of the practices beggar belief. People go back to them because they sell good stuff at good prices. They employ very few genuine cyclists - as a I recall there is only one serious roadie there, a tester and 2 other club riders - which for a staff of about 30 in a road oriented shop seems odd to me. Bike shops are usually full of fanatics not people 'just doing a job'. Consequently the staff aren't really that fussed about good service and the ones who care about bikes tend to be disillusioned.

With regard to the bikes, I know that they are usually built up very well. I used to know a couple of the mechanics and they are great guys (though disillusioned). The frames are just the usual 'straight out of the big factory in China/Taiwan' type. Speaking to people in the know R&D wise, RIbble bikes like most lower priced carbon are ok, do the job well. I've been told that when buying carbon it's worth looking into what say the brand have in it - if company don't do the R&D then it's going to be cheaper but probably won't handle as well. Ribble, obviously, don't have an R&D dept.

What I'd say is, if you think the bike is right for you, you'll struggle to find anywhere that offers the same quality/price ratio. If you want knowledgeable staff you care about you as a customer and will give good after sales service too - go elsewhere. Personal experience dictates that I will never shop there again.

OP
OP
Winnershsaint
TBH Monnet my preference would be to use my LBS, all the time, every time but it's hampered somewhat by a lack of choice of bikes in my range. Don't get me wrong the the Cube Agree CTC Pro and Ridley Orion are far more bike than I currently have. According to the LBS they will have no new Cube stock until the 2012 models are released. They recently sold their last GTC Race and won't have any more until after Xmas. I kind of like the Orion, particularly the Ultegra specced Special Edition but they are sold out too and were only a summer promo. Not sure I'm so keen on the bog standard Orions in Campy or Shimanao guises. Anyway off to McDonalds for lunch and then to the LBS in Crowthorne. Thanks for the comments. Most helpful.

e-rider

crappy member
There are plenty of online sellers that will sell you a good bike for a good price and offer good advice and customer service - just DON'T shop at Ribble - you've been warned!

Top Bottom