Should I change my Aero wheels for something lighter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorvernRob

Afternoon all

I've been pondering about this for a week or two now and don't know what to do!

My bike came with Planet X 52mm carbon/alloy clinchers. They look great and the bike feels good, but...I live in Sheffield and an average ride in any direction has between 80 and 100ft of climbing per mile, with plenty of steep stuff in there.

I'm a relative beginner but reasonably fit and improving quickly on the bike, what I'm trying to decide is if it would make any difference on the hills (both short and long term as I improve more) if I changed the wheels to a lower profile, light alu set. I've been looking at things like Fulcrum Racing 3, or at a push I could go for Mavic Krysium Elite which seem to get many recommendations.

If it won't make much difference at any stage then I won't bother, but any reasonable gain and I would probably change.

This is the bike as of now: I know the profile isn't massively deep, but is that carbon just a waste when at least half my riding is uphill?

29AE3BE0-56CE-4525-9E90-5D12BA35B0A8_zpskxg5xwxl.jpg

Thanks for any advice

Rob

Attachments

• 29AE3BE0-56CE-4525-9E90-5D12BA35B0A8_zpskxg5xwxl.jpg
    29AE3BE0-56CE-4525-9E90-5D12BA35B0A8_zpskxg5xwxl.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 25

SteCenturion

I am your Father
What do your wheels weigh now ?

It is possible to get Aero wheels at 58mm under 1650g but they come with a big price tag.

Been looking into this myself.

OP
OP
N

NorvernRob

What do your wheels weigh now ?

It is possible to get Aero wheels at 58mm under 1650g but they come with a big price tag.

Been looking into this myself.

I think they're just under 1800g, 17-something. Fulcrum racing 3's are 250g lighter, which isn't a huge amount but would they be more responsive on climbs etc? What I don't really need is a wheel that sacrifices weight to be better at speed, which is what I think the aero ones I have now basically are.

The thing is, if I change I might as well do it now whilst mine are still pretty new - they've only done 200 miles on the road and a few hours on the turbo.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Yeah probably Rob.

I just sold my Ritchey WCS Zeta (2012) to my mate & they only weighed 1545g.
They were taken off my bike when I bought it and unused as I already had 2 sets that I like.

I reckon you would notice a 300g drop in weight as it is rolling mass that will be lost & 'only from magazine articles' you understand - weight loss from a wheelset is better than from anywhere else.

If your neighbourhood is hilly then this might be the way to go.

Both sets Fulcrum 3's & Ksyrium Elites will give you this & be just fine 'I think'.

There are guys & girls on here far better equipped to give advice than I am (as a relatively new returnee to cycling).

You could offset the cost with the sale of your Planet X 'while they are quite new' as you said.

Don't think it would take long to find a buyer either.

Look for a set under 1600g & you should climb them thar hills like Billy the Goat.

S610

Regular
I think they're just under 1800g, 17-something. Fulcrum racing 3's are 250g lighter, which isn't a huge amount but would they be more responsive on climbs etc? What I don't really need is a wheel that sacrifices weight to be better at speed, which is what I think the aero ones I have now basically are.

The thing is, if I change I might as well do it now whilst mine are still pretty new - they've only done 200 miles on the road and a few hours on the turbo.

Do you mind me asking if you have any extra body weight to shift? Youll lose more grams shifting fat than changing your wheels. Think about it, 250 grams, you can lose that in 1 day off your body, wont cost you a thing. Remember the car is only as good as the engine. ;)

Are you changing your tyre for the turbo? From personal experience, tyres dont last very long when turboing, or if you turbo alot have you got a cheap/old wheel, cassette and tyre you can swap over so you dont have to keep changing the tyre?

OP
OP
N

NorvernRob

Do you mind me asking if you have any extra body weight to shift? Youll lose more grams shifting fat than changing your wheels. Think about it, 250 grams, you can lose that in 1 day off your body, wont cost you a thing. Remember the car is only as good as the engine. ;)

Are you changing your tyre for the turbo? From personal experience, tyres dont last very long when turboing, or if you turbo alot have you got a cheap/old wheel, cassette and tyre you can swap over so you dont have to keep changing the tyre?

Unfortunately (or fortunately) I haven't got much to lose body weight wise, probably a couple of kilos max. I'm 5'9 and around 72-73kg. I'm 37 now and have been the same weight since my early 20's.

I don't change the tyre for the turbo, I usually train twice a week for 45-60 minutes. I'll possibly pick up a spare wheel at some point, but for now if I need to replace the rear tyre every few months I'll suck up the cost.

At that weight I would personally change them.

Thanks for the reply. I'm now looking at Shimano RS81 24's which would be 300g lighter than my current wheels. It's not that I want to shave off every gram, more like what's the point lugging aero wheels uphill when there's zero advantage in that situation.

I'm in Milton Keynes at the in laws this weekend, and if I lived here I wouldn't be bothered about changing - it's flat as a pancake and road riding around here must be a piece of p*ss compared to Sheffield!

outlash

also available in orange
Unfortunately (or fortunately) n.
I'm in Milton Keynes at the in laws this weekend, and if I lived here I wouldn't be bothered about changing - it's flat as a pancake and road riding around here must be a piece of p*ss compared to Sheffield!

Don't knock it until you try it ;). I live in pan-flat Cambridgeshire and we had a guy from Cumbria come out with us a few weeks back on a club run. A few miles in and he was making plenty of comments about how flat it is, but he quietened down after a few more miles because you have to pedal constantly. There's isn't much 'pedal up, freewheel down' riding out here.

Tony.

BTW, you're not into keeping reef tanks are you by any chance?

OP
OP
N

NorvernRob

Ah true I suppose, but I can't stop pedalling for long either as my free hub is so loud :laugh:

I haven't got a reef tank anymore but have had several up until a couple of years ago, I used the same name on the a Reef forums.

OP
OP
N

NorvernRob

:laugh:.

I thought I recognised your username, I used to dip into ultimate reef from time to time.

Tony.

Yeah I was a regular on there, I still visit now and again but can't see when I'm going to have the space, time and free cash to setup another reef tank. I worked out I was spending well over £200 a month on my last tank which is pretty expensive!

Anyway back to the wheels. Decision made, I've ordered some Shimano RS81 C24's, so will be putting the aero wheels up for sale at the weekend.

Unfortunately (or fortunately) I haven't got much to lose body weight wise, probably a couple of kilos max. I'm 5'9 and around 72-73kg. I'm 37 now and have been the same weight since my early 20's.
Sorry, but there's room there, I'm 38 year old 5foot 9 and I weigh around 62-63kg :whistle:

FWIW, My summer wheels are 2nd hand Kysirum Elites and they climb ace but the improvement isn't that much over my winter wheels the heavier 2014 Fulcrum7s (Claimed 1760g).

SteCenturion

I am your Father
At that weight, I wouldn't have bought them, lol!
These came as part of the spec of the bike (see o.p), I can understand that a few, maybe many would not have bought them at that weight, however as individuals we are all governed by our own circumstances.

I would buy wheels of around 1800g - because that's what my finances limit me to & I own & enjoy a set of Eastons @ approx 1800g & American Classic's @ 1585g - not out and out budget wheels - more - 'my budget' wheels.

Recently I posted 'carbon wheels - should I bother' ? as I am considering a set but limited 'again' to brands that I can just about afford (this may not come to fruition).

Please don't take this as an attack - it really isn't, more a different strokes/different folks stance.

Remember cyclists - as the 'Tories' constantly remind us "we are all in it together" ( COUGH).

OP
OP
N

NorvernRob

Sorry, but there's room there, I'm 38 year old 5foot 9 and I weigh around 62-63kg :whistle:

FWIW, My summer wheels are 2nd hand Kysirum Elites and they climb ace but the improvement isn't that much over my winter wheels the heavier 2014 Fulcrum7s (Claimed 1760g).

My frame isn't small enough to lose anywhere near 10kg, I'd look like I was malnourished and probably would be.

At that weight, I wouldn't have bought them, lol!

They were on the bike when I bought it as posted above. Considering the frame is £600, the wheels £400 and the group set is mainly decent Sram kit (FSA gossamer compact chainset, rival shifters and force everything else) it was well worth buying the bike for £1k. (It also had a few extras like carbon bottle cages etc). I'll probably get close to £300 for the wheels so the change will cost me very little.

Top Bottom