Should I change my Aero wheels for something lighter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My frame isn't small enough to lose anywhere near 10kg, I'd look like I was malnourished.

I'm lucky in a wee way, fell ill and was actually dropped another 8kg and which stage I did look malnourished. At the time I got talking to a roadie and he gave me the same speech 'better to lose weight from me, not the bike' :ohmy: I've since put the8kg on and feel I'm a better balance power to weight ratio now. I am lessefair (sorry for the spelling), whilst there might be some truth but if folk are happy and it gets them cycling who cares :-)

Afternoon all

I've been pondering about this for a week or two now and don't know what to do!

My bike came with Planet X 52mm carbon/alloy clinchers. They look great and the bike feels good, but...I live in Sheffield and an average ride in any direction has between 80 and 100ft of climbing per mile, with plenty of steep stuff in there.

I'm a relative beginner but reasonably fit and improving quickly on the bike, what I'm trying to decide is if it would make any difference on the hills (both short and long term as I improve more) if I changed the wheels to a lower profile, light alu set. I've been looking at things like Fulcrum Racing 3, or at a push I could go for Mavic Krysium Elite which seem to get many recommendations.

If it won't make much difference at any stage then I won't bother, but any reasonable gain and I would probably change.

This is the bike as of now: I know the profile isn't massively deep, but is that carbon just a waste when at least half my riding is uphill?

29AE3BE0-56CE-4525-9E90-5D12BA35B0A8_zpskxg5xwxl.jpg

Thanks for any advice

Rob
If you have to climb all the time then why not look at the Mavic Ksyrium SLR?

OP
OP
N

NorvernRob

If you have to climb all the time then why not look at the Mavic Ksyrium SLR?

Cos they are over £900 a pair! I've ordered Shimano RS81 C24's, they are 300g lighter than my current set at just over 1500g so I'm happy with that.

Hopefully I'll notice a difference, if not then it won't have cost me much to change. At least I won't get so much trouble with crosswinds!

OP
OP
N

NorvernRob

I'm lucky in a wee way, fell ill and was actually dropped another 8kg and which stage I did look malnourished. At the time I got talking to a roadie and he gave me the same speech 'better to lose weight from me, not the bike' :ohmy: I've since put the8kg on and feel I'm a better balance power to weight ratio now. I am lessefair (sorry for the spelling), whilst there might be some truth but if folk are happy and it gets them cycling who cares :-)

I've already noticed I've lost a bit since I started training in Jan, but around 70kg is where I think I'll 'bottom out'. I just can't see where I could lose anything else from unless it was muscle.

Power I can certainly improve and that will obviously help as well.

Top Bottom