Should I change wheels and tyres together?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Irishrich

Über Member
I have a 2013 Specialized Secteur with stock wheels and Schwalbe Durano Plus Performance tyres. I changed to these tyres back in the winter as I was getting too many punctures on the tyres that came with the bike. I don't commute on the bike so it's purely for enjoyment and sportives.
Now that I'm doing bigger miles in the summer when the weather is nice and taking part in various sportives do you think it would be better to keep the stock wheels and Durano tyres for winter and change wheels and tyres to lighter, racier ones? I would still want some sort of puncture protection but would like a lighter faster tyre. Any suggestions for wheels and tyres at a reasonable price (I'm not buying wheels above £150 a pair), thanks.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
The Secteur wheels imho are not to bad. I found that they stayed true and straight and could take a bit of abuse. Sure they are not the lightest wheel out there but neither are they the heaviest.
For the money you have available I do not personally think you will either get an upgrade of value or an big step in performance as such I would advise you to save your money unless you have something actually wrong with your wheels and they need replacing.

OP
OP
Irishrich

Irishrich

Über Member
Yeah, the wheels have been fine over some rough terrain. I guess I am looking for improvement on tarmac roads as the Duranos are heavier but give great peace of mind against punctures.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
You've got to ask yourself why are you getting so many punctures?
If you look after your tyres they will look after you.
Are you checking them before and after every ride? Digging out any bit of glass, stone, grit or whatever maybe stuck to the tyre. All that crap will work itselves into the tyre eventually.

Get into the habit. It's a pain, but less of a pain then a puncture.
I have only had 2 punctures this year in over 6000 miles of leisure and commuter cycling and one of those was because I hit a pothole.
So do yourself a favour, get into the habit of checking your tyres.

OP
OP
Irishrich

Irishrich

Über Member
I was probably just unlucky to have 3 in the space of a week with the original tyres as I always checked them pre and post ride, cleaned them so was sure there were no shards of stone or glass. I do the same with my Duranos and no punctures in 1000 miles over the same terrain as the original tyres and even rougher terrain on sportives. I just want a racier summer tyre with a bit of puncture protection and wondered what people use. After a bit of research I am thinking of going for the Schwalbe Ultremo ZX as they seem to offer what I'm looking for. Anyone use them here?

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I have a 2013 Specialized Secteur with stock wheels and Schwalbe Durano Plus Performance tyres. I changed to these tyres back in the winter as I was getting too many punctures on the tyres that came with the bike. I don't commute on the bike so it's purely for enjoyment and sportives.
Now that I'm doing bigger miles in the summer when the weather is nice and taking part in various sportives do you think it would be better to keep the stock wheels and Durano tyres for winter and change wheels and tyres to lighter, racier ones? I would still want some sort of puncture protection but would like a lighter faster tyre. Any suggestions for wheels and tyres at a reasonable price (I'm not buying wheels above £150 a pair), thanks.

Re lighter, racier(?) wheels. Keep what you have and put the money in your pension pot or have a couple of nights out with your significant other or mates or whatever. What will these new wheels do for you? Anything? Take 10 seconds out of your normal ride? It's easy to spend money on things like this that may not offer any real value whatsoever.

Top Bottom