Should I consider cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
I fail completely to understand the whole indoor cycle thing.
Me too, OH, but all things said, whatever makes someone happy, good for them. I almost wish I did enjoy them. I ride between 4.44° In the winter and 32. 22° In the summer. Colder than 4.44°, and my nose runs while riding as well as my eyes tear. Hotter than 32.22° gives me headaches after my ride even hydrating and being in shade. I’m 65, perhaps it’s just an age thing. (Please hold the stories about how you're 85 yrs old+ and ride 70 miles in 37.77°, good for you!) Neither super hot or super cold is fun for me anymore, so those are my limits. If I liked to ride an inside bike, I wouldn’t have to be concerned about those conditions at all on those days. But I don’t like them, so that’s just the way it goes for me. I'm happy for those that can be happy both indoors or out. :okay:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
He asks @Hill Wimp ..... she'll tell him
Far too often....

Scaleyback

Veteran
I'm 74 now and still love my cycling, both indoor and outdoor.
I live in North Yorkshire and prefer cycling outside, in and around the beautiful Yorkshire Dales but frankly the weather often 'drives' me indoors.
I have been on Zwift since the early days, over 5 years now. I have tried other cycling apps but I prefer Zwift which 'drives' a Tacx Neo
smart trainer. I have a well kitted out shed i.e 'Pain cave' with Zwift running on a dedicated Windows PC. I also have TV with Netflix/Prime/NOWTV to help entertain me if necessary.

Riding as 'a Pensioner' on Zwift, give me a wave if you pass me but be prepared for this 'old man' to try and chase you down. :laugh:

i-q8GTpXZ.jpg

i-b5dfmgc.jpg

i-xD3Rj4r-L.jpg

CXRAndy

Guru
I live in North Yorkshire and prefer cycling outside, in and around the beautiful Yorkshire Dales but frankly the weather often 'drives' me indoors.
I have been on Zwift since the early days, over 5 years now. I have tried other cycling apps but I prefer Zwift which 'drives' a Tacx Neo
smart trainer. I have a well kitted out shed i.e 'Pain cave' with Zwift running on a dedicated Windows PC. I also have TV with Netflix/Prime/NOWTV to help entertain me if necessary.

View attachment 600986

View attachment 600987

View attachment 600988
Cracking setup :okay:

In 40 plus years I have never felt so worried that I stopped riding and have never resorted to hat and dayglo. Sorry for being off topic, initially wondered why people found indoor cycle better than outdoor.
Good for you.
In my old cycling club we've had two members killed by drivers.
That's not a great record is it ?

I love my outdoor rides but at night and especially in winter it's just easier and more time efficient to train indoors - so I can ride further and faster outside.

Mralexrides

suppose outdoors you have wind and ground resistance to contend with. As well as traffic lights and lunatic drivers.

Lovacott

Über Member
You can't beat actually doing the real thing, but sometimes you can't get around to it.

Maybe it's hammering down outside or maybe you only have half an hour to spare and by the time you've got yourself sorted, there's only five minutes of that half an hour left.

I'd do it if I could use something like an Oculus headset to make it a bit more real.

Your setup looks pretty cool though and you don't look anything like a 74 year old to me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom