Should I consider cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mralexrides

If your power figures are right you are putting out 4.2watts/kg over 3hrs.

The winner of this year's Tour de France wasn't putting out that much more power averaged over a 4hr tour stage.

https://stagescycling.com/us/news/stages-power-and-stages-dash-in-the-2020-tour-de-france/
And that's him chronically injured.. he could walk into the tour de France fully fit.

Turbos are reviewed and analysed by independent YouTubers, GPlama, DC rainmaker are well known. There are many others. Accurate comparison with other power meters is almost always done. Those interested in turbo indoor training want to have reliable comparable numbers for their outdoor setups. Others just use transferable power meter to use indoor to outdoor.

Regarding different muscle groups, there maybe some tiny difference but Ive never found it personally. Ive trained for months on my indoor setup during winter, which is equipped with a rocker and flat setup. Then taken my riding to Tenerife and ridden up and down Mt Teide without any physical complaints-other than tired legs after a week of daily riding.:biggrin:
I know what you mean but there's literally 100s of post on the TR forum all saying 'my power meter doesn't match my turbo', thats where the rumour arises folk say certain trainers are either known for reading high or low and DC and GP Lama all post there but hey ho :okay:

I don't steer much on my turbo or have to battle side wind etc. It makes a massive difference to me (a relative light weight, although the OP makes me feel fat :laugh:) on a technical course on a non technical course I'll match or beat my indoor power :laugh:

CXRAndy

Guru
I know what you mean but there's literally 100s of post on the TR forum all saying 'my power meter doesn't match my turbo', thats where the rumour arises folk say certain trainers are either known for reading high or low and DC and GP Lama all post there but hey ho :okay:

I don't steer much on my turbo or have to battle side wind etc. It makes a massive difference to me (a relative light weight, although the OP makes me feel fat :laugh:) on a technical course on a non technical course I'll match or beat my indoor power :laugh:

The top end turbos are within a few percent of any crank/pedal power meters.

Its the obsessive riders, quibbling over 5-10 Watts, which at the pinnacle of the sport is crucial.

For most, just having a reliable turbo with repeatable performance is sufficient. My Neo 2 is reported to slightly under read compared to Neo bike, so what. I can use my numbers and see fitness gain over weeks and months

I hardly steer on the road, bikes, motorcycles corner by tiny steering inputs, (motorcycle generally counter steer) , but its mostly lean angle to corner.

Cross winds, easy to deal with, relax, ride central and counter the wind by leaning into the wind.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
But, what if you want to know EXACTLY how crap you are...? :whistle:

:laugh:

gzoom

Über Member
Cycling indoors isn't the same as out doors

Until about 3 months ago I had no real experience of consistent indoor cycling, but since may the Peloton bike has been getting almost daily use and I've only been out on the road bike in the real world less than half a dozen times.

What I've found is that my 'perceived' effort indoors and outdoors is very different. This was an 1hr ride I did in the real world last weekend, I push really hard, as seen by my pretty high average heart rate, but at the end of the ride I felt 'OK', though during the tough climb in the middle of the ride I was anything but OK.

51334360578_765e5900a6_c_d.jpg

In comparison I was just nearly sick pushing my self during an 1hr indoor bike session - getting into the top 10% of riders. I honestly felt WORSE at the end of the ride compared to the real world ride, but I was surprised to see my average heart rate was lower!! What I have found though is you can push as hard on an in door bike as in the real world, the key is motivation.

51333412932_d8feac8deb_c_d.jpg

The top end turbos are within a few percent of any crank/pedal power meters.

Its the obsessive riders, quibbling over 5-10 Watts, which at the pinnacle of the sport is crucial.

For most, just having a reliable turbo with repeatable performance is sufficient. My Neo 2 is reported to slightly under read compared to Neo bike, so what. I can use my numbers and see fitness gain over weeks and months

I hardly steer on the road, bikes, motorcycles corner by tiny steering inputs, (motorcycle generally counter steer) , but its mostly lean angle to corner.

Cross winds, easy to deal with, relax, ride central and counter the wind by leaning into the wind.
I saw your set up, it's great 👍
The OP is younger and may not have the money to pay for that top end setup and IME lighter riders are more affected by external elements and there's tons of other variables, so he shouldn't be surprised if their figures aren't 100% accurate and should give real world cycling a go. Until they try they'll never know, good luck to them :okay:

Top Bottom