Should I consider cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Yes you should give it a go! I was initially a time trialler and club cyclist in my teens, but then went into football in my 20s until my left knee gave out at nearly 30, then I came back to cycling as it was easier on my knees. No reason why you can't switch sports at any stage, especially if it helps deal with injury.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I should add that cycling is enjoyed by a wide spectrum of people. Whether you should give it a go, should be based on whether you enjoy it, and nothing more.
Is the right answer....

Scaleyback

Veteran
Sorry to be a nuisance, but how inaccurate are the ANT+ devices for calculating power output?

Well, as gzoom pointed out earlier 210w ÷ 49.3kg = 4.25w/kg for 3 hours are Pro level riders numbers ! So widely inaccurate is your answer. The best smart turbo trainers have power meters that are very accurate. I have a Tacx Neo which is claimed to measure rider power to 1% accuracy. Unsurprisingly these trainers are not cheap. :ohmy:

Well, as gzoom pointed out earlier 210w ÷ 49.3kg = 4.25w/kg for 3 hours are Pro level riders numbers ! So widely inaccurate is your answer. The best smart turbo trainers have power meters that are very accurate. I have a Tacx Neo which is claimed to measure rider power to 1% accuracy. Unsurprisingly these trainers are not cheap. :ohmy:
You weigh 49.3kg!

If you do I hope I never have to race you uphill!

OP
OP
I

injuredrunner

That's what I was thinking. Are there any cheap ways to get an accurate power reading?

OP
OP
I

injuredrunner

Power schmower. It'll take 3 seasons to develop your cycling muscles properly even if you're aerobically fit. Forget the data and see if you can keep up on a club run. Try the "social" one first.

gzoom

Über Member
That's what I was thinking. Are there any cheap ways to get an accurate power reading?

You don't need a power meter, download Strava on the phone, set it to record and literally get on your bike!!!

If its an old mountain bike and you are averaging over 15mph on rolling country side roads you are doing well. On a road bike averaging over 18mph is very fast for someone who hasn't cycled much.

The paid version of Strava (£49 for the year), will give you comparison to other riders showing you roughly how fit (or unfit) you are.

Top Bottom