Should I consider cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I've been having lots of Achilles issues! Frustrating but cycling have been great fun!! :smile: Thanks for the advice
My Achilles stopped me from running in July 2000. I was a semi decent club runner too. Rest it, the docs said. It never got better so I decided that the middle bit of the Tri was easier than the first bit, more practical for time etc. at any rate. I have never looked back.
My Achilles still plays up so I don’t run much at all. I ride my bikes and do HIIT.
Nowadays I don’t worry about power meters, cadence, speed. I just ride.

Cycling, as you may well find, is more fun.

boydj

Legendary Member
Unless you want to start competing in cycling events, there's no real need for power meters or getting too hung up on performance. As your mileage goes up, your technique and cycling fitness will improve. For now, just enjoy the cycling. If you want to get competitive, join a club and learn the joys and skills of the club ride and use the club as a way into competitive cycling.

If you want to measure your improvement, use strava and find a route that you can time-trial occasionally to measure your performance.

Aha, only have an ANT+ device and use the turbo trainer, I'm begining to think that there might be some accuracy issues with this?
Cycling indoors isn't the same as out doors you have to use different muscles that are redundant indoor (you don't have to worry about traffic/ falling off etc) and out doors is more variable in terms of wind/surface/gradient etc, although with air cooling and momentum some can go harder outdoors. There can be tons of other +/- errors in addition. One rumour is turbo maker deliberately make them read high as that pleases the customer and they are more likely to give positive reviews etc. That said you have a reasonable watts/kg base and you are young, so give cycling a go, you'll never know unless you actually try it :okay:

Milzy

Guru
You should be racing with those numbers.
The last time I was your weight I was 10 years old 😂

CXRAndy

Guru
3 hours on a decent turbo setup is not extraordinary. Ive ridden upto 5 hours non stop.

Many of my training buddies have done upto 12 hours doing crazy challenges like 'Everesting'. :heat:

CXRAndy

Guru
Cycling indoors isn't the same as out doors you have to use different muscles that are redundant indoor (you don't have to worry about traffic/ falling off etc) and out doors is more variable in terms of wind/surface/gradient etc, although with air cooling and momentum some can go harder outdoors. There can be tons of other +/- errors in addition. One rumour is turbo maker deliberately make them read high as that pleases the customer and they are more likely to give positive reviews etc. That said you have a reasonable watts/kg base and you are young, so give cycling a go, you'll never know unless you actually try it :okay:

Turbos are reviewed and analysed by independent YouTubers, GPlama, DC rainmaker are well known. There are many others. Accurate comparison with other power meters is almost always done. Those interested in turbo indoor training want to have reliable comparable numbers for their outdoor setups. Others just use transferable power meter to use indoor to outdoor.

Regarding different muscle groups, there maybe some tiny difference but Ive never found it personally. Ive trained for months on my indoor setup during winter, which is equipped with a rocker and flat setup. Then taken my riding to Tenerife and ridden up and down Mt Teide without any physical complaints-other than tired legs after a week of daily riding.:biggrin:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Personally I'd say one significant difference between turbo riding and real riding outdoors is the lack of freewheeling. Constantly putting in effort gets very hard on the backside over longer periods.

Also all turbos have a limit to the steepness of hill they can simulate (fancier ones can simulate steeper hills) so you don't get the really steep bits you get outside.

Oh, and there's also the fact that you are ... er ... indoors and not outside. There is that too. ;)

That's my experience anyway.

Scaleyback

Veteran
Personally I'd say one significant difference between turbo riding and real riding outdoors is the lack of freewheeling. Constantly putting in effort gets very hard on the backside over longer periods.

Also all turbos have a limit to the steepness of hill they can simulate (fancier ones can simulate steeper hills) so you don't get the really steep bits you get outside.

That's my experience anyway.

The Tacx Neo freewheels and has a max gradient of 'only' 25% and a max resistance power of 2200 Watts.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Yes but don't get hung up on all the spend a gazillion quid to improve rubbish. Put the car keys in a drawer a practical do it all bike and you will stay fit naturally no lycra, bizarre crash hats or two hundred quid wrap round glasses required. Decent panniers for shopping a must though.

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
My 13 year old is 50KG and built like Chris Froome:laugh:
What do you mean by 'give cycling a go'?
If you mean for pleasure,fitness and general wellbeing then of course you should.
If you mean racing then as said you should get yourself a road bike,join a local CC and see how you get on.If your figures are accurate then 98km-3hrs=32kmh or 20mph average.That is a decent pace but as said start with the steadiest group and go from there.

CXRAndy

Guru
The Tacx Neo freewheels and has a max gradient of 'only' 25% and a max resistance power of 2200 Watts.
:okay:. Add a 'rocker board' and its very near to outdoor movement. Riding out of the saddle not a problem with a rocker

20190430_093418.jpg

I was never a top runner, but very keen until I had some knee and back problems, which made running more than a mile or so impossible.

Cycling has never caused problems with my knees and my back doesn't have the same problems as it used to.

Top Bottom