Should I gear up?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Ok, my chainring and chain are worn out and I thought I might take the opportunity to get a 48 tooth ring instead of a 46.

As I'm working at LHR now and not Manchester Airport, it's not as hilly. I know I'll be able to pull the bigger gear on the flat, but I dunno... I quite like the acceleration as it is.

Will the two extra teeth make a noticeable difference?

Ta

PpPete

Legendary Member
I think that sort of change is noticeable on a fixed. But I'm probably just fooling myself.

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
No worries. 48x17 is slightly lower than the 46x16 I have when I flip the back wheel, and I have no problems with that.

48 tooth it is!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
4 teeth on the front are approx equivalent of 1 tooth on the back, so going to 48t over 46t is like half a tooth worth on the cog, you will notice it a little, but it shouldn't be a large change.

SS Retro

4 teeth on the front are approx equivalent of 1 tooth on the back, so going to 48t over 46t is like half a tooth worth on the cog, you will notice it a little, but it shouldn't be a large change.
That's good info you will notice half a tooth I noticed a big difference going the other way from 48x18 to 48x19 as I live in a hilly area it's perfect but do occasionally miss the the extra speed on the flats from the 18t.

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
48 tooth chainring on the way!

I'm going to fit it with a new chain, as soon as I'm sure there's no more snow to come...

Top Bottom