Should I get a car again?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sarahale

Über Member
About 4/5 years ago I sold my car and took up cycling everywhere. About 100 miles a week commuting and general getting about and then I started cycling more for fun to so was adding another 100 miles a week or so. Absolutely loved it come rain or shine until a few months ago when I realised how much it was taking over my life. I've lost friends, my relationship is struggling, was always very tired and getting run down. Basically I was never home either out on the bike, at work or with my horse.

So now I've cut right back on my cycling down to just the commuting. Suddenly I'm not enjoying it anymore, such a struggle to go out on my bike, just in a rush to get home not interested in going out for fun. I live a 8 mile commute from work and I'm finding it increasingly difficult to get up and leave on time, just really feels like a chore. Today for example I'm not working but I'm off to see my horse which is 8 miles, then cycling to a friend which is 4 miles, back to the horse after then home. Before I would of easily extended this made a day of it. Now I just can't be bothered seem to of lost all interest in cycling.

My boyfriend says to think about getting a car again but I'm not sure it just all seems so sudden for me to of suddenly lost interest. He says he thinks I'm probably just exhausted. Again I'm not too sure because I was doing alot more at one point and loved it.

Has anyone else got to this point and felt unsure of whether to continue cycling or to go back to driving?

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Buy a cheap runaround for £400/500 and use it 2-3 days a week. Cycle the others.

Don't be a slave to it, do what's convenient.

OP
OP
sarahale

sarahale

Über Member
Is there a public transport option for getting to work? It might seem expensive on a day-to-day basis, but it would be cheaper than all the costs of a car. As Dave says, why does it have to be either/or? Mix and match.

Not a good one. Bus and 4 mile walk or bus, train and 2 mile walk which would take forever. I suppose I just don't want to waste my money if I start enjoying the bike again I won't ever want to use the car.

OP
OP
sarahale

sarahale

Über Member
I haven't driven for nearly 5 weeks after someone broke my hip for me. I can't say i miss driving. Taxis are very cheap around here(£2 for up to 3 miles).

Ouch. I don't miss driving at all, used to spend half my life sitting in traffic and I was fat. Maybe I should just move closer to work and keep cycling for now

JoshM

Could you use a car for some or all of the commute, and save your cycle time for leisure rides you might enjoy more, or would that still cause time conflicts with the other half?

Or could you allow a little more time on the commute to take the pressure off so you enjoy them more? How much time would you actually save by commuting by car rather than bike? Will getting a car give you much more free time, or will you simply trade riding a bike for sitting in traffic?
'

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I found commuting by bike killed all the enjoyment for me. It became a chore. Why don't you:

a) Get a 125 scooter for commuting - arguably cheaper than a car and fairly easy to keep dry on short journeys. Use bicycle for leisure, and/or for when you don't have a deadline to arrive at your destination.

b) get a cheap car, do your homework and it doesn't necessarily have to cost you hundreds in repairs. Use bike only for leisure.

S-Express

I like horses....but I also like cars....

latest?cb=20140901200021

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
One word

VESPA!

oh and if I may, I think you gave up the wrong bit of cycling....you abandoned the fun stuff for the functional and now find that the functional stuff is...well its functional and dull.

Get a 50cc scooter for work (no license) and get back to social riding for kicks.

Sorry to hear about loss of friends\relationships, I would say that they couldn't have been great friends to begin with but appreciate that life is not they black and white.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I found commuting by bike killed all the enjoyment for me. It became a chore. Why don't you:

a) Get a 125 scooter for commuting - arguably cheaper than a car and fairly easy to keep dry on short journeys. Use bicycle for leisure, and/or for when you don't have a deadline to arrive at your destination.

b) get a cheap car, do your homework and it doesn't necessarily have to cost you hundreds in repairs. Use bike only for leisure.
Just a word of caution.

A 125cc will require either a full bike license or regular cbt (a day off work every three years)
But I do agree a125 is perfect for a commute, unless that commute involves motorway (which I guess @sarahale doesn't as she cycles it currently)

Plus a decent 125, like a vespa, comes with heating for the winter , if you add a weather skirt they are proper toasty.

But a 50cc is cheap, easy and a good taster for a bigger more long term solution.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
+1 for a scooter as a functional commute and the sheer damn joy of turning the pedals at the weekends. Cycling mojo comes and goes & a car does seem a rather drastic step if you're not sure and don't NEED need one (no need to tow a horse box I guess) .

TMN's Brompton suggestion is also a good solution for a multi modal commute but you do end up shelling out the thick end of £1000 for the bike (does your company do C2W or similar scheme) and then public transport fares on top - I did when my knee was not solid enough to guarantee cycling each way each day but it was a dear do & undertaken by necessity. I was happy after that to get well enough to just ride again and enjoyed riding my Brommy hugely, it is a terrific bike just to ride and plenty capable for the sort of daily hops you mention for work or to the stables with or without busses and trains involved.

Last edited:
Top Bottom