Should I not use a half-empty ink cartridge?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Our ink jet printer needs a new yellow ink. Now, I have a half full cartridge that I removed from the machine maybe six months ago. Would it be a Really Dumb Idea to try that in the printer? I'm concerned I might get dried-up ink into the fine tubing and knacker the machine. Could that happen? Or should I just stick it in and see what happens? (I *really* don't want to take even the slightest chance of knackering the machine - it's old, and costly, and Canon no longer service it, so if I knacker it, the chances are that's the end of it. And I would weep bitter tears. Verily.)

I have a Canon too and I rely on it a lot, so personally I wouldn't risk it if the printer is that important to you. Six months is a long time for a cartridge where the seal is broken to have been unused.

Put it in and run a head cleaning cycle straight away. It will either print almost ok, in which case give it another head clean cycle, or it won't work at all.

Which model is it?, because most of the canon printers had the print head built into the cartridge, Therefore the cartridge contains those little bits of tubing you are worried about, so if it is duff, it can only make those little tubes more duff!
thumbsup.png
Replace the cartridge and you replace the tubes with new shiny ones.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Thanks guys. Hmm - well, it's not one of those ones with the head built in - the head's a big chunk of machinery in the printer. (It's a w2200 - a big A3+ graphics printer).  I think I'll probably err on the side of caution...

[quote name='swee'pea99' date='22 July 2010 - 10:44:40' timestamp='1279791880' post='1336677']
Thanks guys. Hmm - well, it's not one of those ones with the head built in - the head's a big chunk of machinery in the printer. (It's a w2200 - a big A3+ graphics printer). I think I'll probably err on the side of caution...
[/quote]

probably a wise choice if the head is built into the printer rather than the cartridge...:rolleyes:

Top Bottom