Should I stick to my trusted touring wheels?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redfox

I am off on tour on Wednesday and I have just fitted my bombproof touring wheels (heavy, thick rimmed, 700*32, 36 spoke jobbies with Schwalbe Marathon+ tyres) in preparation and, as always, it now feels like I am trying to peddle push a tank!

I just wondered, as the tour will be on good roads in France and Northern Spain without masses of kit (still undecided about the tent), could I stick with my much lighter and smoother rolling Audax wheels?

It wouldn't normally bother me, but the tour is due to end when I meet my family in Valence, so the prospect of an unburdened ascent of Ventoux is on the cards.

The lighter wheels have held up well on Audax rides, but I don't know how they perform under a heavier load and I don't want to spend half the trip replacing spokes.

Any opinions?

Whatever you do it'll be the wrong thing !

Take them, you'll bust spokes or be worrying the whole time about it.
Don't take them, you'll spend the trip wondering if you'd have got away with it.

Couldn't get the family to take them to Valence ?

OP
OP
redfox

redfox

Ooooh, that could be a bit of a touchy subject in a "its bad enough I have to pack the car and drive your family down to you without having to find space for all your cycling junk" kind of way.

Actually it isn't that bad, but I was hoping to have the cycling done with by the time I meet them. It is supposed to be a holiday for them as well.

at the moment I am considering a quick jaunt to the LBS to see if they have the required spokes in stock.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Compromise might be putter some 'livelier' rubber on your touring wheels. I find Panaracer Pasellas - (28c's) to be fine for camping touring in France and Spain, and way nicer to ride than marathon +'s.

OP
OP
redfox

redfox

Thanks all, think I'll be following Tim's suggestion.

Did a quick loop this afternoon that took in the LBS and got them to put a couple of Schwalbe Stelvios (smooth 28s with some puncture resistance) behind the counter, will fit them to the heavier wheels tomorrow.

I still think the marathon+ is a good touring tyre, but I seem to be about 10% slower on them (and speed isn't a particular blessing of mine to start with). They just seem a bit unnecessary on good roads.

asterix

Comrade Member
Haven't tried Schwalbe's, but I too use Panaracer pasela's and find they are plenty quick enough. BTW, not all French roads are smooth, round here, or in the Pyrenees!

Top Bottom