should my front wheel vibrate?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sjb

Odd question, but new to road bikes and carbon forks.....

My Giant SCR2 is about 1 year old and done just over 1000 miles so far with no problems at all. I've noticed that if I pick up the front of the bike and gently bounce it on the ground the whole front wheel "buzzes" for a second or so. I don't know if this is normal or if there is a problem which i need to get sorted?

When riding there is no vibration problem but occasionally getting a rattling sound as if there is a stone caught under the mudguard - I've checked all the bolts / screws etc that I can find and all seem tight.

Any advice gratefully received.

bianco

Pretty normal, happens on all my road bikes - its the cable housing knocking against the reverbing metal on the bike

Mortiroloboy

I have an SCR4, with Mavic Aksiums, I also run a Wilier with Campag Zondas, if you mean do you get a bit of a zing sound, then I would say this quite normal, it's probably just the tension in the spokes sort of singing, if that makes sense! I have heard this myself, and as long as everything is tight and you haven't snapped a spoke or got a loose spoke I wouldn't worry about it. Or it could be your cables.

llllllll

Yeah mine 'buzz' when dropped, I think it's normal. They're not really designed to be dropped so if they ride o.k I'd not be too worried.

As for the rattling, have you got deep section rims? Could have something caught in between the rim bed and the v-section (not sure that's the right terminology). I had a bit of road grit caught in there once (don't know how it got there), made a terrible racket when on the move. It used to stop every now and then, presumably it gets caught in the valve/nipple heads, before something knocks it loose and the rattling starts again. If that's what you've got you'll need to take the tyre and rim tape off so the spoke holes are exposed, then just give it a shake to see if anything drops out.

Mortiroloboy

Jeez, you've got me at it now, just been out t'shed to bounce my wheels, they both sort of 'zing', seems more noticeable on the Zondas, so take it from me that's normal, whatever 'Normal' is;)

Top Bottom