Should new tyres be high on my list of priorities?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DavieB

MIA
I currently have standard rubber on my Carrera Virtuoso, and they hurt :blush:

They are kenda tyres there are 2 numbers on them, 700X23C and 23-622. I have them at 95psi (according to guage on pump)

Canardly

Veteran
Ah that is why we older sorearseans prefer a wider more gentle touring tyre. You are prolly a few pounds under there.

OP
OP
DavieB

DavieB

MIA
accountantpete said:
How do they hurt?

Bumps in the road lol. Roads are real bad here.

Im sitting at almost 14 stone too. My saddle is a touch nasty too. tbh its probably just a matter of getting used to the bike never had a road bike before.

What pressure should they be at?

BSRU

A Human Being
I would highly recommend upgrading your rubber from standard. I bought some decent semi-slicks for my hybrid and the improvement was very noticeable indeed. It is probably the part where upgrading makes the most difference.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Tyres are the number 1 upgrade most new bikes need.

but if your bum is hurting its unlikely to be your tyres and more likely to be your saddle.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
TBH it's not the tyres but rather the forks and seat post both of which are aluminium.

This is a great material for transmitting force that you want (from the pedals) but it also transmits a lot of vibration from the road -which you don't want.

The only real solution is to upgrade to carbon forks and seat post.

OP
OP
DavieB

DavieB

MIA
accountantpete said:
TBH it's not the tyres but rather the forks and seat post both of which are aluminium.

This is a great material for transmitting force that you want (from the pedals) but it also transmits a lot of vibration from the road -which you don't want.

Really dont see the Mrs buying that one this early into my new hobby :wahhey:

Ill give it till september and sneak the subject into conversation...:shy:

Norm

accountantpete said:
Hmmm... I'd go with a "partly" on that one.

accountantpete said:
And I'd go for a "no" on that one.

700x23 are about as thin as you'll get on a road bike unless you are considering something competitive, and that means there is little side-wall to offer any bump absorption. I don't know the Virtuoso but changing to something like 700x28, if they fit, will give a lot more pliancy in the tyres and a considerably smoother ride.

How much clearance do your tyres have? The Virtuoso is meant to come with 700x25 tyres, and I think that you will notice the difference if you can fit something even bigger than that.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Daft question...

Are you wearing padded shorts?

I found the saddle uncomfortable on the same bike to start with until i got a decent pair of shorts.I run my tyres at 115 psi and they are fine.I did change them to some other more puncture resistant ones for commuting.

What ,if any bike were you riding before?
If you are used to a wide tyred MTB there certainly will be a difference.If its the harshness of the ride then changing the saddle will not alter that much .

emulsifier12

Lift you arse off the saddle when you see a bump and use your knees as shock absorbers or try and avoid it... swerve around them, but this can be dangerous.

Top Bottom