Should you have a blood test then cycle?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Last week I cycled to the doc's (about 2.5 miles), and had a blood test (full blood count and colesterol), then cycled home. My arm felt sore - bruised after but there was nothing to see so I thought I was a complete wimp. After 2 days my arm turned black, blue and brown along the inside and underneath for about 6 or 7 inches long. And its still giving me greif even now.

Did I just have a bad blood test? or is it bad to cycle after a blood test.? cos you keep your arm straight when cycling, and I guess you are pumping the blood around a little more. If I had applied an elastic bandage would that of helped?

domtyler

Über Member
Complete wimp I'm afraid.

A blood test is, what, 5 cc ?

I'd maybe take it easy after a blood donation, i.e. giving blood which is about half a litre and I wouldn't do a hard training session for a couple of days.

But losing 5cc of blood isn't an issue.

Sounds like whoever put your needle in was a bit cack-handed and has bruised you a bit.

col

Legendary Member
It sounds like a little leak has occured,as the needle has come out,or at least that was what i was told,when a third of my arm was black and blue last time this happenned to me.But i dont think it was too incomfortable,just looked like someone had severly beaten me.

andygates

Definitely a rough nurse. I used to ride after giving blood - gently, mind - fine. And testing volumes are piffling. You just can't get the phlebotomists lately...

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Thanks I had wondered whether I had just been unlucky in the actual blood test... I felt fine, even though it was a fasting test so hadn't eaten at all that day. But I thought I was worth finding out whether it had been the act of cycling that had caused the bad bruising (previously never bruised that way, but never cycled before/after a blood test either).

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The nurse actually badly bruised my arm - very painful - took a few weeks to get rid of the bruising, and I was also using cream to dissipate it. As for a 'rough nurse' - think fat, old and wheezing - plus spending more time cursing the computer..... not lucky at all ;)

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
fossyant said:
The nurse actually badly bruised my arm - very painful - took a few weeks to get rid of the bruising, and I was also using cream to dissipate it. As for a 'rough nurse' - think fat, old and wheezing - plus spending more time cursing the computer..... not lucky at all :?:

Rough nurse and nothing to do with the cycling in my opinion. It's quite clear when someone knows how to take blood properly, and when they are just ham-fisted idiots.

yenrod

BentMikey said:
Rough nurse and nothing to do with the cycling in my opinion. It's quite clear when someone knows how to take blood properly, and when they are just ham-fisted idiots.

Wouldn't let them near me in any case as I aint great with pointy metal objects that go in me ! :tongue:

There are two issues here.....

1. What preparation was required?
If you have just starved overnight then eating first is advisable

2. Exercise boosts the circulation, hence any "leakage" will worsen as the vessels dilate and the blood supply increases the flow throughout that area. This can worsen the bruising. We recommend limiting exercise to that side following an administration, and tend to avoid an arm if the patient uses a stick for instance.

Finally medicines like aspirin or simple factors like old age can affect the propensity to bruise.

Top Bottom