Shouts of "I love your bike"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Uncle Phil said:
Unfortunately, a few months back I think Mrs Uncle Phil and I caused an accident on recumbents.

We were cycling along, one behind the other, on a bit of dual carriageway that runs into Monks Cross shopping park. A driver overtook us, and as she did so, slowed down to have a good look. A motorcyclist used the remaining space in the outside lane to pass her, and as he passed, she decided she'd seen enough of us and moved fully into the outside lane, colliding with him.

He braked and paddled frantically at the ground with his feet, and despite bouncing off the side of the car several times, managed to stay upright. All the panels on the right hand side of the car were dented, and the motorbike had various broken bits of fairing. Also its left hand side alloy footpeg snapped off. No-one was hurt, and the driver and motorcyclist seemed to sort themselves out reasonably amicably. We waited in case they wanted our details as witnesses (they did, but no-one's ever contacted us about it since).

They were both to blame, I think. But none of it would have happened if we'd been riding "normal bikes" that didn't make people stare! And two of them together seems to square the "stare with open mouth factor" rather than just double it.

Trouble makers, hangings to good for you. :ohmy:

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I knew I could count on your sympathy.

LeeW

Horses don't seem to react as badly to the Quest as they do to the Trice or fujin. Maybe as they cannot see my moving legs?

Old PDQ

Auntie Helen said:
Ah, I have two longish flags, not for drivers' line of sight but to try to show above the hedges on the country lanes on which I cycle. I suppose with winter approaching I can reduce the flag height.
Most wise. One reason why I have not gone Trike, at least part time. The high stone walls, narrow single track lanes and drivers that know the roads make a trike's extra width more dangerous than my SMGT(IMHO) which I can lean in against the walls and gain precious inches.
Horses do react more nervously to recumbents probably for reasons already stated. I find talking to them (reassuringly and loudly!)effective.
Auntie Helen said:
I had endless shouts of 'Look at that bike' and 'I want one of those' and also a couple of 'I'm going to nick that bike' (which I hear surprisingly frequently!).
Some parts of the land have gone to the dogs!

Happy New Year to All

Arch

Married to Night Train
Uncle Phil said:
They were both to blame, I think. But none of it would have happened if we'd been riding "normal bikes" that didn't make people stare! And two of them together seems to square the "stare with open mouth factor" rather than just double it.

Imagine 9 of us in France! We had people coming out into their front gardens shouting "allez!" and "chapeau!"

Top Bottom