Show them how good it is

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Today I prove that some designers of cyclepaths have no idea how they are actually used.

View: https://youtu.be/wUMFV51uoXY

The comment that it's "not a cycle provision that goes the whole distance" reminded me of a running joke at West Norfolk Cycling Forum about the gaps in every single council cycling project for about 7 years being excused as "we can't go the whole way for cycling this time" and refusing to accept that dumping people onto A roads across bridges or through junctions drastically cut use numbers.

Oh no, not the old legend about "rights" across junctions again. Every cyclist ever crossed or hooked at a junction knows that is not true in practice. At least when you're on a standard cycleway (not yours - and not most of my locals either) that crosses a narrow-mouth side road at right angles a car length or two into it, you can see the motorists coming and adjust your approach speed to reduce the risk of conflict. If you're cycling on the road, you need three eyes on stalks or something to look left for a potential left crosser coming out of the side road, ahead for a potential right-crosser who will turn into the side road and behind for a left-hooker.

What's with the spinning camera on the cycle path video? That's really disorientating.

What's the speed limit there? I'm surprised you find it more stressful on the cycleway than having cars up your bum. Maybe that's more about the unfamiliar environment for a road cyclist than anything intrinsic?

That exit is a bit sharp and, again, substandard by 2020's specs. I am not sure you've read the opposite direction correctly: maybe you're intended to enter at the mini-roundabout and exit over the should-be-a-zebra-but-isn't crossing by the entrance? However, it does look a bit narrow for two-way cycle traffic, so maybe you're not. Maybe there's an easy tell-tale: do the blue circle signs face both ways?

You don't comment on the evil evil tramline tiles. They didn't look the worst examples for skidding on, though, as they were on straights.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Someone asked my to do a video about how the Middlewood Way connects to the town centre. Here it is! If you do have any comments please comment on YouTube if possible and I know that some Councillors are watching these videos.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij9wFg-RHrk

Zebra crossings: as far as I understand it, you have always been allowed to cycle across them (because it's a carriageway, it would be rather absurd if you could not, not that absurdity always decides the law) but cyclists didn't have precedence unless they dismounted and walked. Since the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2016, there is a variation of the markings which does give crossing cyclists precedence too (visible at https://cycle.st/p84611 for example) - but I suspect that Tesco entrance might be a private road rather than a council-maintained highway so I'm not sure TSRGD applies anyway.

Those mismatched signs on Black Lane are stupid. I wonder how it ended up like that. Was a project to put cycle lanes in cancelled except for the signs?!

OP
OP
G3CWI

G3CWI

Veteran
The comment that it's "not a cycle provision that goes the whole distance" reminded me of a running joke at West Norfolk Cycling Forum about the gaps in every single council cycling project for about 7 years being excused as "we can't go the whole way for cycling this time" and refusing to accept that dumping people onto A roads across bridges or through junctions drastically cut use numbers.

Oh no, not the old legend about "rights" across junctions again. Every cyclist ever crossed or hooked at a junction knows that is not true in practice. At least when you're on a standard cycleway (not yours - and not most of my locals either) that crosses a narrow-mouth side road at right angles a car length or two into it, you can see the motorists coming and adjust your approach speed to reduce the risk of conflict. If you're cycling on the road, you need three eyes on stalks or something to look left for a potential left crosser coming out of the side road, ahead for a potential right-crosser who will turn into the side road and behind for a left-hooker.

What's with the spinning camera on the cycle path video? That's really disorientating.

What's the speed limit there? I'm surprised you find it more stressful on the cycleway than having cars up your bum. Maybe that's more about the unfamiliar environment for a road cyclist than anything intrinsic?

That exit is a bit sharp and, again, substandard by 2020's specs. I am not sure you've read the opposite direction correctly: maybe you're intended to enter at the mini-roundabout and exit over the should-be-a-zebra-but-isn't crossing by the entrance? However, it does look a bit narrow for two-way cycle traffic, so maybe you're not. Maybe there's an easy tell-tale: do the blue circle signs face both ways?

You don't comment on the evil evil tramline tiles. They didn't look the worst examples for skidding on, though, as they were on straights.

All good feedback thanks. The spinning thing was a mistake and I could not find how to stop it! I have not had problems with the tramlines but that is probably because I seldom cycle on paths like that on my road bike. I do the videos on a gravel bike with 42mm tyres. Keep the feedback coming!

OP
OP
G3CWI

G3CWI

Veteran
Zebra crossings: as far as I understand it, you have always been allowed to cycle across them (because it's a carriageway, it would be rather absurd if you could not, not that absurdity always decides the law) but cyclists didn't have precedence unless they dismounted and walked. Since the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2016, there is a variation of the markings which does give crossing cyclists precedence too (visible at https://cycle.st/p84611 for example) - but I suspect that Tesco entrance might be a private road rather than a council-maintained highway so I'm not sure TSRGD applies anyway.

Those mismatched signs on Black Lane are stupid. I wonder how it ended up like that. Was a project to put cycle lanes in cancelled except for the signs?!
I did check the Highway Code about the crossing but I was non-the-wiser afterwards. I also think that it might actually be on Tesco's land. The ASL is occasionally useful but accessing it at busy times is dangerous - and when you do reach it, there is often a vehicle in it.

OP
OP
G3CWI

G3CWI

Veteran
Today I investigate the cycle provision on Sunderland Street and Waters Green in Macclesfield. Was it money well spent? Do let everyone know by commenting on the video.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84AZBckmcac

OP
OP
G3CWI

G3CWI

Veteran
Eeeek The Head of Highways in East Cheshire has asked to speak with me. I fear that I will be on the naughty step. I asked how much money they were spending on Active Travel and my FOI request has been refused for being " manifestly unreasonable". What fun.

For reference here is the complete request: "I wish to know what percentage of their total budget (including major projects), Cheshire East Highways has spent on Active Travel Infrastructure in the last three years for which accounts are available. I would like an itemised list of Active Travel projects that cost over £150,000 in that time period. "

Last edited:

All uphill

Still rolling along
Keep up the good work @G3CWI

If you are annoying or embarrassing councillors that's a sign you are making progress!

What you are doing is so much better than just moaning!

You may have already asked, but is there a LCWIP for Macclesfield? Local Cycling and Walking Infrastructure Plan.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Today I prove that some designers of cyclepaths have no idea how they are actually used.

View: https://youtu.be/wUMFV51uoXY

It is interesting to see the differences to what we have in Denmark. There is assumed liability in Denmark and so we do not have to give way to cars at junctions, they must give way to cyclists and pedestrians. There are give way markings for vehicles before they reach the cycle paths. It still makes sense as a cyclist to approach these junctions with caution. But on the whole drivers here are very considerate towards cyclists. I think there are 1.4 cycles per person in Denmark. Most people cycle or we all have friends and family members who cycle. The majority of trips to school are done by bike.

Our cycle paths are shared with pedestrians and mopeds that travel at 30kph and under. Normally it is not a problem and we all co- exist very well. That is until a drunk moped collides with you, as happened to me in September.

Are you using a Go Pro and how have you mounted it?

Top Bottom