Show us what you're doing at work today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

buzz22

Über Member
20220519_105539.jpg

Put our 44m Bronto Ladder Platform and some of our crew through their paces on a gorgeous autumn day.

Okay, my only contribution to this was tidying the bike up, but still...

2022_05_19_Display.jpg

The coffee table was being carried into the "Pickup" bay as I left so it's already been sold...

keithmac

Guru
Got a 1998 R1 in today, been stood 10 years, same owner from brand new.

Clutch was seized together but apart from that it's in really good shape (doing a full service, all fluids changed and really it needs new tyres due to it's age).

Best bit is we sold it and more than likely I PDI'd it from brand new, a bit of history coming back, nice to see he's looked after it.

20220519_142730.jpg

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Measuring the composition of some tin-based alloys (in the original form of solder pastes)

First I melt the solder, pour off the flux and then tip the molten metal into a little round mould to give a little slug like this.

IMG_20220610_085825025.jpg

Then- to make it nice and flat and expose a fresh surface- I machine it with a lathe (it's a soft alloy so very easy to machine and the swarf doesn't give you splinters!)
IMG_20220610_090244936.jpg

Then I pop the sample face down on the spark stand of this atomic emission spectrometer (spark AES) and give it a whack with the electrode (it goes bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz-zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz-zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz)- some magic happens and it displays the composition of the alloy (selected elements I'm interested in, anyway- silver, lead, bismuth, nickel, antimony, copper- several others)

IMG_20220610_085752822.jpg

Meant to have been a 15 minute job but the bismuth composition was low so a recalibration, preparation of new samples, re-testing of a known-good sample followed- took up a lot of time. Still not resolved so will pick it up again next week.

keithmac

Guru
Been mulling over buying an automotive oscilloscope for a while now (and learning how to use one properly!).

Finally bit the bullet with a Snap-on Verus Pro D10.

Was wanting a 4 channel to log cam / crank / injector and coil triggers for a start off.

Might take a while to learn but ultimately it will save time and prove 100% which component/ part is faulty which is the main aim.

Apparently these are a good robust scope and can handle 6 million samples a second (can't get my head around that personally!).

20220617_183312.jpg

keithmac

Guru
Something a bit different, one off Royal Enfield build, been stood a few years and getting it back in the road.

Carb clean, fresh petrol, new inner tubes and a bit of wiring and it runs like a champ!.

Ignore the battery cable tied on, just for powering the ignition!.

20220720_113317.jpg

20220720_113333.jpg

Top Bottom