show us your aluminium

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lb81

Ahhhhh The human condition......... I would commit all sorts of nasties for a clean ally frame like this, but you wanna swap to STEEL. Why is that a greener field than this beauty.

Cut my teeth on steel frames in the 80's, as I have been riding my ally road bike pretty much exclusively had a hankering for something a bit more 'old school'! This frame is currently hanging on my garage wall alongside a larger sized Kenesis frame and a late 80's Marin steel frame, be damned if I can decide what to build. No need to commit any nasties for a frame like this, it cost me about £40 5 years ago, the Kenesis frame 99p and the Marin cost nothing... ^_^

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
Cut my teeth on steel frames in the 80's, as I have been riding my ally road bike pretty much exclusively had a hankering for something a bit more 'old school'! This frame is currently hanging on my garage wall alongside a larger sized Kenesis frame and a late 80's Marin steel frame, be damned if I can decide what to build. No need to commit any nasties for a frame like this, it cost me about £40 5 years ago, the Kenesis frame 99p and the Marin cost nothing... ^_^
:scratch:Its not so much a money thing, I just love the look of bare ally, unpainted, but I have not come across a step through loop frame, made of alluminium. I have to use this type due to a hip problem. I've always assumed that it didnt have the strength to withstand the exta pressures of not having a crossbar. The closest i've come across is the "airlite" material that Raleigh use . If you know otherwise I would love to hear more,

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
The fatigue resistance* of aluminium is much less than for steel, so a frame has to be made more rigid to have an acceptable lifespan. I would imagine this is more difficult to achieve with an open frame.

*roughly, the amount/amount of times you can bend it before it breaks.

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
Alu does last a surpsingly long time in harsh environments - Checkout the number of Alu C46 C-47 DC-3 DC-4 and Electras in service after 60 years or more. Some of these aircraft serving in some of the coldest harshest places on Earth (inc. Africa and the Canadian NWT)- just watch Ice Pilots on TV.

This alu is 11 years old and functioning fine.
540530_10150886899186177_560751176_12111778_576988887_n.jpg
cracks.jpg

I'll amend the above, I discovered some stress fractures in the head tube after noticing cracked paint at the weld, frame now scrapped :sad: All bits salvaged, now looking for a nice steel frame to put them on. :smile:

RoadieT

My new bike, major upgrade from my previous own built aluminium. Very light bike (for an aluminium) and best spec in the price range, VERY happy.

The seat was not properly adjusted by the way ;)

P1020644.jpg

P1020640.jpg

P1020636.jpg

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
My new bike, major upgrade from my previous own built aluminium. Very light bike (for an aluminium) and best spec in the price range, VERY happy.

The seat was not properly adjusted by the way ;)

P1020644.jpg

P1020640.jpg

P1020636.jpg

I have the same model, love mine !!!use it for weekend rides and club runs and have a virtuoso for commuting on.
changed the cassette to a closer range ratio and stuck a 10 mm longer stem on it and dropped it 1 large spacer.Wow big drop from saddle to bars ! I had to get the samll as i am only 5 foot 7 " and i read that us "compact " riders need less drop to give the same torso angle ... well thats my excuse :smile:
have a pair of ultremo R1 tyres sitting in the garage waiting to go on when i get the nerve to try them as they look damn thin .

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
More of an update on mine .. its on road duties now

100_0791.jpg

The shorts that you're wearing in your avatar match this bike nicely :thumbsup:

My beloved 2012 Caadx 105. Fantastic bike for many purposes. In winter the stock wheels and 35's go back on but for the good weather i have fitted Shimano rs30's with Passella tourguards, dropped the bars and changed out the rear cassette for ultegra 11-28. Back from a 65 miler on her today and averaged 18.5mph. The way out was averaging 20+ but, as is the way, the return leg was a full on headwind. 30 miles + of it. Ouch.

Attachments

• smaller IMG_1020.jpg
    smaller IMG_1020.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 60
'ere's me boike, taken the bar extensions off and fitted a shorter handlebar stem since this was taken.

Attachments

• Me Boike.jpg
    Me Boike.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 62
Top Bottom