Show us your hybrid!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GuyBoden

Guru
I've got what I believe was the original Raleigh Hybrid, the Gemini from 1988.

Lightweight 531 Reynolds frame, same as a tourer frame. IMHO, an excellent bike.
$_86.JPG

Attachments

• $_86.JPG
    $_86.JPG
    163.5 KB · Views: 59

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I've got what I believe was the original Raleigh Hybrid, the Gemini from 1988

Which begs the question, does anyone know of an earlier one?

OP
OP
Gravity Aided

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Kind of hard to pin that one down. Many tourers were modified with flat bars in the 70's and eighties by their owners. It's kind of like the city bike, which sort of grew out of the mountain bike by personal modification. I think the hybrid grew out of people looking for the same riding position as a utility bicycle, but with more speeds and a more modern frame. But as a catalog offering, many seemed to crop up about that time.

GuyBoden

Guru
Kind of hard to pin that one down. Many tourers were modified with flat bars in the 70's and eighties by their owners. It's kind of like the city bike, which sort of grew out of the mountain bike by personal modification. I think the hybrid grew out of people looking for the same riding position as a utility bicycle, but with more speeds and a more modern frame. But as a catalog offering, many seemed to crop up about that time.

Raleigh's 1974 Super Tourer is interesting in a discussion about early hybrids, it had flat handle bars and dérailleur gears as standard. In retrospect, it's a Road Bike/Roadster hybrid.
13SuperTourer.jpg

OP
OP
Gravity Aided

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Right where it should be. He's a cyclist , you know.:becool:
(ed. It does rather look like he's yanking the shorts off of the girl with the humorous socks.)

Last edited:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
[QUOTE 4533900, member: 43827"]I just bought this 1976 Viscount Aerospace Victor. Does it come into the hybrid class? 27" wheels, lightweight steel frame[/QUOTE]

For me, the difference between a flat bar Lightweight Tourist and a true Hybrid, is that the hybrid should have sufficient BB/pedal clearance and suitable wheels & tyres to be able to cope with slightly rougher terrain without suffering nuisance pedal strikes, wheel damage or frequent punctures. A beefed-up flat bar road bike. So in effect they are a halfway house between a road-oriented machine and a rigid 26" MTB, where road performance is only a secondary concern to the ability to cope with rough surfaces. Very much a compromise and really rather like an old-school light roadster - but with a much wider range of gears to choose from.

[QUOTE 4533900, member: 43827"]I just bought this 1976 Viscount Aerospace Victor. Does it come into the hybrid class? 27" wheels, lightweight steel frame, 5 speed using Shimano Positron gears, one of the earliest indexed gears I believe. Not quite flat bars, more touring style. View attachment 149626 [/QUOTE]
Nice but I wouldn't be too much of a purist - I'd change the saddle. Were those things ever comfortable?

Top Bottom