Show us your practical bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
I love seeing bikes that are practical, particular used for carrying "stuff", children and pets! Show us a picture of your bike with panniers, baskets, trailers etc and tell us what you use it for.

Mine's a bit boring, Big Wald basket and double basil pannier permanently attached and a supply of bunjees generally provides sufficient carrying capability for a weeks grocery shopping.
I have a single child trailer that I've removed the seat from that I've used for carrying bigger cargo, but have used it mostly to tow my son's (brakeless) speedway bike to the track.

10330258_10152332846081117_8904025533308680046_n_zps1dd6f7c7.jpg

I also have a trixi bike lead for the dog. He trots along next to me when I take him to my Mum's about a mile and a half away (she looks after him while I'm at work). He's been diagnosed with arthritis now, so his bike lead days may be drawing to a close, planning to adapt the trailer to carry him too!

null_zpsfc98d18f.png

Brandane

Legendary Member
My "Mars Bar" bike (because you can use it to work, rest or play - as those of a certain age will remember :blush:) started off 4 years ago as a cyclocross, but has morphed into a multi-purpose tourer. This was it fully loaded on a ride from Bordeaux to Caen this summer:

NewGallowayMarch2004025_zps20e5e389.jpg

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
My "Mars Bar" bike (because you can use it to work, rest or play - as those of a certain age will remember :blush:) started off 4 years ago as a cyclocross, but has morphed into a multi-purpose tourer. This was it fully loaded on a ride from Bordeaux to Caen this summer:

NewGallowayMarch2004025_zps20e5e389.jpg
What pannier rack is it?

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
It's a Topeak Super Tourist DX.
I thought so, I have one on my mountain bike which has been used for touring in the past. Find the side rails very helpful, easier to place stuff on the top with the panniers mounted a bit lower down.

LordGrover

Regular
Pretty sure this is my bike; bought from this guy and it's his ex-demonstrator 2014 model.

cnb

Veteran
Yeah. Start a topic on Dutch bikes..Toured the Netherlands this year and i was amazed at the amount of people using these style of bikes (i know what do you expect in Holland)..They seem great utility bikes and less likely to get nicked when parked outside a supermarket in this country..Unlike some of the flashy stuff we ride..

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
Given my enthusiasm for mountain-biking is inversely proportional to the amount of wet mud involved, my 1994 Roberts DOGS BOLX MTB has suffered several years of severe under-use.

In the interests of sweating my bike assets more, and fulfilling a need for a bike for shopping and around-town use, I therefore recently decided to convert the somewhat idle Roberts into a utility bike, as shown below.

The conversion is already proving its worth - my arms are no longer three inches longer when I get home with the groceries (I tend to load a huge rucksack and hefty bags in each hand when going on foot), and I'm more inclined to actually visit the premises more regularly; knowing the time saved by riding and the ease of transporting heavy items in my nice twin ARKEL SHOPPING PANNIERS, also meaning car-based monster shops will now be a thing of the past (or at least very rare).

New tyres fitted are CONTINENTAL CONTACT PLUS - these are Continental's equivalent to Schwalbe's Marathon Plus, i.e. highly puncture-resistant and therefore enabling me to wander around without bothering with pump or spare tubes/repair kit etc. And in the unlikely event I do suffer one, the walk home will never be too far. These 26" '47mm' tyres measure 44mm wide on the old 17mm ID Mavic 230 SBP rims.

tn_IMG_2871.JPG

tn_IMG_2872.JPG

tn_IMG_2874.JPG

tn_IMG_2876.JPG

tn_IMG_2880.JPG

tn_IMG_2882.JPG

tn_IMG_2887.JPG

tn_IMG_2892.JPG

tn_IMG_2894.JPG

tn_IMG_2896.JPG

Top Bottom