Show us your steel.....its real...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iandg

Legendary Member
Rebuild of my Henry Burton (renovated 1970s Raleigh Professional) finished, all ready for Velo Retro Festival, early June.

P1030874.JPG

Last edited:
In between getting measured up by Giovanni himself for this bad boy (October 2022) and it being ready for collection (April 2023), I managed to get myself diagnosed with Stage 3 Bowel Cancer and underwent successful surgery with a tumour the size of a large can of Guinness removed from my gut.

I made a Ryanair day trip to the workshop in Marostica near Venice to collect the bike in the short window between surgery and starting chemo, rode it about 4 times last April before the chemo *really* kicked in, and have been pining to get back on this bike ever since. It's been my back-to-fitness motivation and I bloody love it. I know it's far too much bike for me but if anything were to demonstrate that life's too short to worry about that kind of thing, it's the story behind this bike.

I present my Officina Battaglin Portofino, no. 5/99: lugged steel and oversized tubes to celebrate my previously-oversized tubes! :laugh:

full.jpg

Last edited:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
In between getting measured up by Giovanni himself for this bad boy (October 2022) and it being ready for collection (April 2023), I managed to get myself diagnosed with Stage 3 Bowel Cancer and underwent successful surgery with a tumour the size of a large can of Guinness removed from my gut.

I made a Ryanair day trip to the workshop in Marostica near Venice to collect the bike in the short window between surgery and starting chemo, rode it about 4 times last April before the chemo *really* kicked in, and have been pining to get back on this bike ever since. It's been my back-to-fitness motivation and I bloody love it. I know it's far too much bike for me but if anything were to demonstrate that life's to short to worry about that kind of thing, it's the story behind this bike.

I present my Officina Battaglin Portofino, no. 5/99: lugged steel and oversized tubes to celebrate my previously-oversized tubes! :laugh:

View attachment 727936

Simply stunning❤️

AndyRM

XOXO

I made a Ryanair day trip to the workshop in Marostica near Venice to collect the bike in the short window between surgery and starting chemo, rode it about 4 times last April before the chemo *really* kicked in, and have been pining to get back on this bike ever since. It's been my back-to-fitness motivation and I bloody love it. I know it's far too much bike for me but if anything were to demonstrate that life's too short to worry about that kind of thing, it's the story behind this bike.

View attachment 727936

Wow. That is a thing of absolute beauty.

That's stunning, I have often pondered buying a frame from Chesini in Verona, but the complications have put me off.
So I have some questions.
Did you have to pay import duty ?
Did you take your own bike box ?

https://www.chesini.it/eng/bikes/steel

When I collected the bike I took OB's recommendation and bought an Elite Borson from them for the return flight.

If I hadn't sold my previous B&W box a couple of years previousy I would have taken that out with me empty apart from some sweaty kit, helmet, pedals etc (which went in hand baggage instead), as it's cheaper to fly an empty box than to buy a new one.

T4tomo

Legendary Member

View attachment 727936

That is absofarkinglutely gorgeous. I recall a thread on you ordering this a goodly while back making me very jealous.

Enjoy it and I hope all is good on the cancer recovery front.

Top Bottom