Show us your steel.....its real...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

airbrake

Thanks !

My Peugeot Energy 400 with DB 4130 cro-moly frame. Nice handling with road tyres.

PeugeotEnergy400.jpg

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
my Orange P7...

mybike2.jpg

liamo43

Heres my 2 steel bikes. A Dawes galaxy 531C 23"which I put STIs and Aksium wheels.very smooth and a Claud Butler 853 56cm which is good but I prefer the Dawes Sorry thats my sons Galaxy I cant find the pic of mine

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    195.9 KB · Views: 147
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    197 KB · Views: 108

Goldie

Über Member
my Orange P7...

mybike2.jpg

That looks great. Lovely location as well. Is that the River Lune in the background? Could be in Colarado... How much did your P7 set you back? I'm kind of toying with the idea of something a bit nicer than my current hack for muddy rides and I keep being drawn to Orange.

oldcarltonfan

Veteran
I hope this works,

here is my modern 700c and Tiagra take on an old 531 Carlton (Pro Am 12 but colours as a homage to my first Carlton, a Carlton Ten). I stripped the bike, which was an E Bay wreck, but with a straight frame with no dents or significant rust; the frame was then repaired, cold set and coated by Dave Yates in Coningsby and he did a lovely job. I don't like the handlebar tape or bottle cage colour (my fault) so I will change them once I've put some miles on it and I'll post better pictures with natural light later next year. These were taken in the snow, I only finished the build a couple of weeks before the snow and couldn't wait for better weather to show it off. She rides beautifully by the way.

What do you think?

DSCF0340.jpg

DSCF0342.jpg

DSCF0343.jpg

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
i've noticed on the older bikes that the forks seem to bend backwards, i.e., not in line with the head tube. is this a style or the fact that the bikes are old and the forks have been pushed back over time? i do like the carlton and the 1947 hetchins frames.

oldcarltonfan

Veteran
Bromptonfb,

I've noticed the forks as well. In the flesh it is not so apparent but the photo angle exaggerates it a bit. It might be a combination of original rake angle and old age. It certainly rides nicely, tracks straight and the forks are as solid as a rock fore and aft so I'm hoping 'they all do that guv'. Does anyone else have any ideas?

I'm looking forward to getting some miles in riding it. The only snag is that I'm already looking out for a good pair of summer wheels to 'bling it up', then I'll find another decent frame with mudguard eyes and make a fast tourer, then ad infinitum 'til the money runs out or death do us part (or SWMBO blows a gasket at the cost).

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
That looks great. Lovely location as well. Is that the River Lune in the background? Could be in Colarado... How much did your P7 set you back? I'm kind of toying with the idea of something a bit nicer than my current hack for muddy rides and I keep being drawn to Orange.

Aye it's t'Lune, near Newton and looking across towards Tunstall with Ingleborough in the background. Got the bike £300 2nd hand. They turn up on ebay occasionally for £200ish these days.

Top Bottom