Show us your... winter ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
As winter approaches there's a lot of talk on the forum about studded tyres, clothing, weather and such, and of course there's a show us your winter bike thread, but where have you actually been? What bike and what kit did you use and how did it cope with the weather and terrain? Let's see your winter bike in its natural environment.

Here's my ride from last year. Genesis CdF geared down to 34/30. Schwalbe Winter studded tyres.

20141229_114053.jpg

Hope Valley from the top of Mam Tor, with the cement factory looking festive in the snow.

20141229_124728.jpg

The state of the minor roads. Bike coped perfectly with the ice. Kit wise, three pairs of gloves and two jackets were just enough to keep me warm.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
This is my own (cropped, coloured) photo which I put on facebook a few years ago... have noticed it being copied/shared/used a few times... but I took it in Northumberland.

172824_10150147087084740_1962582_o.jpg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Up until last year, riding in proper winter conditions was mostly pretty local - a play around in the snow on the lanes when it came, using any old knobbly tyres for grip.

DSC00979.JPG

Then I got myself some studded tyres and rides in snow and ice became a more realistic prospect. These are on the Long Mynd, Shropshire.

DSC0001939.jpg

DSC0001944.jpg

The bike is well documented elsewhere on the site. The tyres are Schwalbe Snow Stud which have been excellent except for being a little skittish on rutted ice. For this winter I found some Marathon Winter on offer which have double the number of studs so hopefully will feel a little more secure. They've just had the one outing so far as it's been so mild, so a bit early to tell how good they'll be.

Clothing-wise I mostly don't use cycle specific gear - it's a base layer then as many micro fleeces as needed (three for the conditions shown in the second & third photos - it was chilly) and thermal leggings under walking trousers or similar.

It might sound silly but a pair of safety boots kept the feet warm & dry throughout the coldest weather. Not much help unless you are using flats though.

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
Added some 65mm SKS guards since my last picture. No more wet backside.
P1033381_zps5mzbsxo5.jpg

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
In 2013 we enjoyed a family holiday in Patterdale/Glenridding as usual, but this year in the deep snow. I took my hybrid bike and had a lovely ride up the Kirkstone Pass, which was closed. I got reasonably near to the top but not all the way up.

We later went on a family bike ride to Keswick along an old railway trail, and a ride down the western shore of Thirlmere, again on snowy roads.

This Easter I will take my Revolt up with me, and my son his MTB, and see what we can do.
CasioLakes13 033 [800x600].jpg
CasioLakes13 037 [800x600].jpg

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
Such a nice bike. What kind & size of tires do you have on their?
Cheers. They are Schwalbe Winters, 30mm. They are the narrowest studded tyres I could find and the only ones that would fit under my guards. They cope extremely well with ice and hard packed snow, but don't clear the deeper and looser stuff as well as a thicker treaded MTB snow tyre, which can lead to slidy funtimes in places.

Top Bottom