Shower leaking into wall...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Over the weekend I noticed there was some mould on the wall in my little apartment. This is not entirely unexpected: it's a basement apartment and has a history of mould in certain conditions, so I cleaned it until the wall was white again and made a not to tell the landlady if it reappeared too soon. That was on Saturday:

Leaky_Shower_001.jpg

This was this afternoon, about 5 days later.

Worse, this is what is on the other side of said wall:

Leaky_Shower_002.jpg

On closer inspection with the Landlady, we discovered that silicon in the corner isn't in contact with the shower base:

Leaky_Shower_003.jpg

Being a mere carpenter I have no idea what you do in this situation. Obviously we need to get someone who knows about these things to sort it out: that's a given.

But what can we do in the sort term: can we reseal the shower as an emergency measure, until we can get hold of an expert, to save me using the Landlady's guest shower, or will that make the problem worse?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You might actually have a leak with the concealed taps.

Whilst all this 'covered' stuff looks fabulous, it's a farkin pain when, not if, something needs maintaining.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
All the pipes in the wall for taps - we usually have them on the bath, so can get to them by removing the bath panel. You may have a tiny pipe fracture or hole. We had a microscopic hole appear in a cold water feed above the ceiling for our downstairs loo - made a right mess. You couldn't even see the hole.

All the pipes in the wall for taps - we usually have them on the bath, so can get to them by removing the bath panel. You may have a tiny pipe fracture or hole. We had a microscopic hole appear in a cold water feed above the ceiling for our downstairs loo - made a right mess. You couldn't even see the hole.

Because of how I took the picture, it isn't obvious, but the taps are in an outside wall. The mould is on the other side of the all on the left in the shower.

I had a new shower tray installed a few years back and it immediately started leaking into the wall. The bathroom company tried to fob me off with saying it was just the external sealant along the edge that needed re-doing but I could tell there was a slight movement in the tray that would cause the external sealant to keep on cracking. In the end it turned out that the sides of the shower tray had not been sealed properly and there was a small gap between the tray and the wall hence the movement. They blamed it on their inexperienced apprentice fitter and once the sides of the tray were properly sealed they re-did the external sealant along the edge and it was rock solid.

What about drying the wall out? Landlady is talking about knocking into the wall and installing a dryer.

If all we have to do is reseal it then the problem will be solved over the weekend.

Gunk

Guru
What about drying the wall out? Landlady is talking about knocking into the wall and installing a dryer.

If all we have to do is reseal it then the problem will be solved over the weekend.

I worked in Property Management for many years so I'm familiar with this sort of problem.

I'd get a dehumidifier in there first to dry it all out. Really it all needs to come out, as well as leaking under the bath seal it could be leaking where the shower mixer is fitted in to the tiles, they are notorious for leaking, so just resealing the bath will probably not solve the issue. I also don't understand quite why the mixer is installed quite that low, perhaps there was a bath there before and they didn't bother relocating the taps.

If the wall is that damp, the leak is pretty serious as the wall must be saturated. The problem with landlords is that they usually want a cheap fix.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Get a man in

I worked in Property Management for many years so I'm familiar with this sort of problem.

I'd get a dehumidifier in there first to dry it all out. Really it all needs to come out, as well as leaking under the bath seal it could be leaking where the shower mixer is fitted in to the tiles, they are notorious for leaking, so just resealing the bath will probably not solve the issue. I also don't understand quite why the mixer is installed quite that low, perhaps there was a bath there before and they didn't bother relocating the taps.

If the wall is that damp, the leak is pretty serious as the wall must be saturated. The problem with landlords is that they usually want a cheap fix.

Hi, thanks for the thoughts. I checked and the tap is from the time they had a bath, and was there for decades without leaking. German plumbing is built like a steam locomotive, whereas the shower itself is a self-made affair, put in just before I arrived. Also all the damp is on the back of the shower wall, the tap wall is fine.

The dark tiles mark where they took the bath out.

They are talking about getting an expert in and starting to call the insurance, and they fully expect to have to knock a hole in the wall and dry it out.

Questions:

1: Will they have to knock out the shower and tiles. or can they access it from the entrance hall side where all that mould is?
2: How much damage would be caused by resealing it temporarily so I can use the shower?

Gunk

Guru
1: Will they have to knock out the shower and tiles. or can they access it from the entrance hall side where all that mould is?
2: How much damage would be caused by resealing it temporarily so I can use the shower?

It's likely they may have to remove the complete shower tray so you may be without a shower for a couple of days. However it's a stud wall behind it they may just cut a hole in wall instead to investigate. As it's leaking ideally you shouldn't be using the shower, but I know in the real world that's difficult.

It's likely they may have to remove the complete shower tray so you may be without a shower for a couple of days. However it's a stud wall behind it they may just cut a hole in wall instead to investigate. As it's leaking ideally you shouldn't be using the shower, but I know in the real world that's difficult.

I'm able to use my Landlord/lady's guest shower: I've just done so in fact and it felt like I was touring and going out for the nightly hose down. Thank goodness it's warm: this would be a pain in cold wet winters.

I just tapped the wall and to my surprise it sounded hollow so it may be a stud wall, which makes life easier.

I was thinking of adding silicon to reseal the bottom of the shower so it can't get worse.

I've also been given the mother of all dehumidifiers to leave on while at work...

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Yes it's a stud wall, hence the hollow sound. You can cut a section out with a packing knife and remove it, you'll soon see the leak if it's there.
Replacing the section is easy
Once plasterboard gets soaked it's spoiled so you'll likely need to replace the affected part.

Last edited:
Problem with shower trays is that the legs are often not strong enough to support a person standing in the tray. Stand in the tray and bounce up and down and you will see that it is most likely not sealed in the majority of places. It needs a proper timber brace underneath to keep it still.

Also other issue with the plumbing is that you need to dry it out and then replace it with water resistant plaster or a sealant layer before the tiles to stop the water going through the grout (which can be pourous) and saturating the plaster behind. Also looks like it might need regrouting as it’s not flush with the tiles.

Insurance usually pays out for stopping a water leak and making good the damage but not rectification of the poor workmanship.

I had something similar in my old house and cost an arm and a leg to fix a previous owner bodge job!

newts

Veteran
A failed sealant joint between shower tray & wall tile is unlikely to cause such a large area of mildew.
Showering is generally a short 'wet' cycle & you'd get a smaller stain on the wall corresponding with the failed joint.
Short term i'd check the tray for movement/flexing & if all is ok, reseal/silicone the perimeter of the shower tray. This is a straight forward way to elimante this as cause of the the issue, before undertaking major remedial works.
Without seeing pictures of a larger area of tiling it's difficult to judge.

Top Bottom