Showerproof lightweight packable

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ak88

Can any one recommend a very light weight, showerproof packable jacket? In the current weather I usually only have a t-shirt and baggies for my 13 mile commute in. I am looking for a shower proof jacket in case I get caught out and it starts to rain or shower. Warmth is definitely not a factor.

The closest I have seen is the Montane featherlight at chain reaction ->
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=11427

Are there any other recommendations from peeps here? Price wise - the cheaper the better as I am on a budget.

I use a montane featherlite and for price/compact size I found it a bargain. I've not actually used it too many times in the wet but its always strapped to my bike and has never let me down when it has turned wet.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I've used one of these (the smock version of the featherlight jacket) and found it superb. Certainly showerproof, if not totally waterproof, and great on days with a chill in the air. Packs up almost unbelievably small too.

mondobongo

Über Member
I got one of these a couple of weeks ago its a great piece of kit packs down into its own pocket fits easily into a jersey pocket. Wore it for over 4 hours on Sunday's ride and was bone dry and comfy even when pushing it hard. Well reccomended.

yello

The montane featherlite is an excellent jacket. It is just as you describe; shower proof, packable and lightweight. In fact, I'd call it a little more than just shower proof - it'll not keep out a deluge, or continuous heavy rain, but it's more than up to passing showers. It's handy as an extra layer or a wind proof too.

My only downside comment is that I find mine does sometimes flap around a bit and the noise irritates. Other than that, I can't really fault it.

Achilles

I use both the Montane Featherlight and their H2O jacket - the latter is billed as waterproof and was certainy fantastic the week before last whern I did 50 miles in the pouring rain. I was damp but suspect that was mostly condensation - no worse then the featherlight for me in that respect though. Is still keeps me warm and comfortable though and dries out in minutes. Not that much larger packed than the smock, I tend to take the H2O now

gavintc

Guru
My wife has her Montane Featherlite permanently attached to the stem. It is excellent and provides a useful additional layer when doing a cafe stop in addition to its more normal duties as a rain jacket.

Top Bottom