Showers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I used to play golf with my old PE teachers at Ramsey Golf Club until 08 when I moved to Greetham Valley.
I was very good at sports especially bat and ball type games..but I hated showers..
They were good fun on the golf course but I still felt compelled to call them Sir ,even tho I used their christian names it felt wrong...winning a game was nice tho...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My niece is in her 20s and never exercises. Never has. She is lucky that she is thin. Her diet is cap though. Sad thing is I am twice her age and much fitter.

She tried to do one of those mud assault course events last year. She didn't train for it and ended up on oxygen after a mile. This is a 20 year old not a 90 year old.

young Ed

Veteran
being still in my last year of school (year ll 16 years old) i can indeed vouch for that the changing room showers are never used and i think in 6 years i have seen them used once. i have never used them my self although i am one of the fittest there and partake in what is classed as the hardest option of sport and am one of the top two in that activity so i don't feel not showering after pe has hampered my sporting? what i will say though is that all but the really top sporty ones in my year do incredibly little or no physical activity outside of the compulsory 1 hour a week in school and it does show

and as people have already said, the pe teachers are not liked by the students other than the top achieving really sporty ones, not sure about how other teachers view them though?
Cheers Ed

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
being still in my last year of school (year ll 16 years old) i can indeed vouch for that the changing room showers are never used and i think in 6 years i have seen them used once. i have never used them my self although i am one of the fittest there and partake in what is classed as the hardest option of sport and am one of the top two in that activity so i don't feel not showering after pe has hampered my sporting? what i will say though is that all but the really top sporty ones in my year do incredibly little or no physical activity outside of the compulsory 1 hour a week in school and it does show

and as people have already said, the pe teachers are not liked by the students other than the top achieving really sporty ones, not sure about how other teachers view them though?
Cheers Ed

You've neatly avoided mentioning your personal hygiene post-exercise. Lynx is a deodoriser and not a cleanser you know.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Things seem to have changed regarding showering after sport. When I was at school in the 70s/80s after outdoor sport like rugby or football you always showered if you were muddy. If it was really dry you might get away with not showering. Always shower after swimming too.
Son plays rugby, football, cricket for school. Never has a shower after a game or practice. Nor does anyone else in the team. Comes home filthy and has a shower then. Dunno why

Venod

Eh up
Things seem to have changed regarding showering after sport. When I was at school in the 70s/80s after outdoor sport like rugby or football you always showered if you were muddy. If it was really dry you might get away with not showering. Always shower after swimming too.
Son plays rugby, football, cricket for school. Never has a shower after a game or practice. Nor does anyone else in the team. Comes home filthy and has a shower then. Dunno why

Picked up the grandson from rugby training last night, I had to put the sheet I put the bike on over the seat & floor he was filthy, (I think showers are available) on a more positive note he does seem to get more exercise than some of his peers, I had to advise him he needs rest days too, he informed me that when the season starts he will be training Mon, Tue, Thur, Fri with games Sat and Sun, on Wed the Gym, hope he showers well.

Sandra6

Veteran
None of my children have showered at school, apart from after swimming but they are in their swimsuits.
For them, as it was for me, its the not wanting to be naked in front of others. Whether from feelings of inadequacy or just prudish embarrassment, I can relate to the need to keep some things private. Why they can't have private showers I do not know.
I wouldn't use a communal shower why should my child?

It might be the other way around ... it might be that children who are less active shower less. Certainly makes sense. Non cycling colleagues rarely have a shower when they arrive at work, for instance.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
None of my children have showered at school, apart from after swimming but they are in their swimsuits.
For them, as it was for me, its the not wanting to be naked in front of others. Whether from feelings of inadequacy or just prudish embarrassment, I can relate to the need to keep some things private. Why they can't have private showers I do not know.
I wouldn't use a communal shower why should my child?

Is a bit odd, that, yeah. You'd probably get arrested if you walked down the street naked but for some reason they want you to wave your bits about in front of everyone when it comes to school showers. They'd probably blame a lack of resource in this day and age though, but I think it's probably worth campaigning for TBH. If I had to replay my school life though, I'd just jump in and have a wash. Spent far too many afternoons, in my former materialistic mind-set, feeling stinky and sweaty and these days I just don't give a sh*t. Nobody's perfect, after all...or everyone is...depending on which side the coin lands.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
When we went to 'high school' at 13 we were forced to shower after PE unless having your period - the teacher kept a record of this, so you couldn't claim that excuse every week. I remember the first PE lesson. Everyone getting undressed as slowly as possible so that they didn't have to be first in. I was the skinniest, most underdeveloped girl in the class and one of the least sporting. In the end I got fed up with waiting for everyone else to get undressed and stripped off and went in first.

I don't recall that the showers involved much in the way of getting clean - it was nip in and out as quickly as possible so that you could get partially dried and back into your uniform. Mind I don't remember getting sweaty during PE either - just shivering out on the hockey field or in the chilly games hall.

I hated PE - pity they didn't include cycling :smile:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
in my last two years of high school, i discovered that simply not taking any PE kit excused one from PE... instead i went to the library with the asthmatics and did my homework.

I can't recall showering after PE ever being an issue, choking on the Lynx fumes afterwards more so. Nobody ever went naked but it was always undies off and shorts back on and into the showers for a proper wash. If we had a match after school or at the weekend it was always the case of having a shower when I got home, mostly because nobody could be bothered hanging around afterwards. I've never been body beautiful, and I never really gave a crap about what people thought about me, but I don't think it was as media-hyped or forced upon teenagers 20 odd years ago as it is today.

The EldestCub informs me that at his secondary they 'sometimes' use the showers - I investigated further and it appears this is sometimes, after swimming. The kit list specifies a towel for swimming lessons, but not the rest of the time so I assume the expectation is no shower. Rugby and football have been Wednesday last lesson of the day this year anyway, so his school uniform and kit goes in the wash that evening and he goes in the bath before bed anyway. I'm not convinced they work up that much of a sweat so it's mostly a mud issue...

I don't remember the showers in the PE block ever being used in the whole of my time at secondary school, back in the 80s.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
There was mixed nude swimming and showers at our school in the early 60's. :ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

Shears Green Primary, Gravesend, Kent.

How that got off the ground is beyond me - my mum never let me attend. Not that I wanted to as at that age girls were just aliens that played with dolls.

Maybe half a dozen years later I would've been more interested.

Top Bottom