Shredded tire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lanky

With the fine weather, I took my kojak equipped trike out for a spin. About 10 miles out I noticed something odd with my right tire. Thinking that it could be something stuck to the tire I slowed down and much to my horror the tire was almost shredded.
I turned around to head back and then it burst. I had 2 spare inner tubes on me and fitted one. Eventually after a mile that went.
So I thought, if I put the other one in that will only last a short time, so I filled the tire with grass as I was in the middle of nowhere and cannot phone anyone to get me out of this pickle.
After an age, listening to what maybe the sound of money leaving my wallet for repairs. I made it home.
Iam to shattered to look at the moment. So tomorrow, how do I assess if the wheel is ok or not. I think I will go back to Marathons.

Andrew1971

Veteran
Hi Lanky
I got big apples on my KMX so far no problems.:smile:
Andrew

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
If the rim is badly damaged you could just re-lace a new one on without having to completely strip and rebuild the wheel.
Tape the new rim to the old one and swop the spokes over one at a time, Tension and true and the jobs a good 'un.

If the rim is badly damaged you could just re-lace a new one on without having to completely strip and rebuild the wheel.
Tape the new rim to the old one and swop the spokes over one at a time, Tension and true and the jobs a good 'un.

Good idea but virtually impossible to achieve as the spokes will be too short , BITE THE BULLET , take photos count the crosses then look at
http://atomiczombie.com/Tutorial - 3 Cross Wheel Lacing - Page 1.aspx

and start from scratch.

regards emma

Bad Machine

In the garage .....
+1 on a DIY rebuild - there are a good few helpful videos on YouTube, too.

And it's really not as daunting as it seems - you have an advantage in that you will be taking apart an exisiting wheel, so take a good few photos of what it looks like before, draw some sketches as to how the spokes heads exit (which direction do they go ?) from the hub on both the inside and outside of the hub, and whilst it'll seem scary the first time you do it - AND seems to take ages - it can be done. I did my first a couple of years ago, and learnt that being methodical and taking plenty of measurements meant even though I had a new rim (with a slightly different ERD - see article http://miketechinfo.com/ERD-measuring.htm) I could work out whether I needed new spokes. I didn't on the first rebuild, I did on the second...... and third. None of those I've done to date have failed.:dance:

Spoke key and screwdriver, tape measure (s) needed. Depending on how your hubs attach, you may not need to remove from the trike if you can support the frame to work on it.

....and if you meet any problems, post it up here - I'm sure you'd get suggestions to help out if needed.

Top Bottom