Shropshire devil

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Why don't you ride it first to find out?

Sorry.. not helpful.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I've not been on this event it but it's my neck of the woods so I have ridden quite a few of the roads involved.

It won't be an easy ride. Whether you'd call it hard depend on fitness and what kind of terrain you're used to. In my opinion the short route would be a good challenge for most average riders. The long route would be hard as you've got the long drag up the Long Mountain to start, plenty of short sharp climbs in the middle, then up the Burway onto the Long Mynd followed by the similarly steep climb up and over the Stiperstones near to the end. It does finish with a good long descent into Minsterley though.

Last edited:

gavgav

Guru
I'd echo Phil here. That looks a majorly challenging ride for the average cyclist. South Shropshire is rarely flat and mainly uphill......or at least it seems it to my legs!!

OP
OP
Hicky

Hicky

Guru
Sorry I havent revisited this thread, I'd say I'm above average fitness.....I'm booked on with a few others, a report will follow and hoping for good weather.....gets me out of a thrashing on Sennybridge.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Have fun.:thumbsup: The local weather forecast looks quite promising for the day at the moment..

Looking forward to the write up and if I'm free I may find myself having a bit of a ride over that way to be nosey.:whistle:

OP
OP
Hicky

Hicky

Guru
Well, I'm in work and just remaining awake......hard is my review, especially with poor prep in all areas.
The last 10 miles consisted of that huge climb out of Church Stretton then a long dangerous desent(due to gravel) and then a sharp 20% with about 5 mile to go....a friend and I went and met two guys who are much higher up the food chain in work than us, to be met with "oh 80...we've booked onto the short)....ARSE!!!!!

Edited because my brain was on strike

Last edited:
Top Bottom