Shut up legs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

50000tears

Not been out a great deal over the last few weeks mostly due to the appalling weather we have been having. I have kept my training going though with time on the work gym exercise bike. The machine has a lot of features but is very uncomfortable and only 1 passable riding position, but you can still do some good aerobic and interval work on it.

Anyway went out yesterday for just the 2nd outdoor ride this year and was surprised at just how much my legs suffered. Not an overly hilly route as seen here

http://www.strava.com/activities/105552856

But even in the first 20 miles I was feeling it in my legs. On the way back I suffered up the 3 longest/steepest hills not through being in the red with my breathing but just legs hurty! Would this be expected even on such a relatively short ride with not too much outdoor riding recently and only moderate fitness? I have only been training properly since September. Or is the problem more likely poor gear selection and grinding the gears too much rather than spinning on the harder bits?

I know the question may be hard to answer over the internet but was genuinely surprised at just how 'cooked' my legs became over a ride of that distance. My buddy who I was out with is super fit and had an easy ride whilst spending far more time in the big ring than I was able to.

MikeW-71

Veteran
Sometimes you just don't have the legs, we've all had rides like that and we will do again. Having said that I don't think gym bikes are a proper substitute for road miles. :smile:

ayceejay

Guru
The two disciplines require different techniques gym bikes do not have the resistance you encounter on the road making it easier to spin. As you rightly say it is difficult to assess this problem on the internet but my guess is that you went out too fast.

Top Bottom