Siatica

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

doog

Surgery is really only considered of there is (risk of) paralysis. Diagnosis of cause via scan, physio and rest first, the surgery has risks. I've had a numb calf and a 6-8" scar for 20 years. But I might have ended up in a wheelchair so had no option.

Ive had two surgeries on L5/S1 ...Im now in permanent pain and regret ever letting a surgeon near me. He now wants to operate again but states it will involve fusion...no chance.

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes, it can be a risk. But for me, at 20 and the possibility pf paralysis it worked. I've had no real back issues since, for 20 years :smile:

geopat

Über Member
I've had a spinal fusion over 16 years ago due to prolapsed disc causing pain and sciatica. Mild sciatica returned a couple of months ago which was bad and had me worried but is much better now.

The exercises I was given all those years ago, pre surgery were useless. There is no point stretching the nerve if trapped, it needs released. Best exercises involve stretching out the pelvic area eg sitting with you legs crossed and pressing down on your knees, lying on your side and getting your legs as far apart as possible etc. There is no point bending your leg towards your chest etc as this exercise only stretches the trapped never instead of helping to release it.

This guy on YouTube talks sense

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rDIxmJWnmbE

OP
OP
s7ephanie

s7ephanie

middle of nowhere in France
went to doctor and she basicly said i have to put up with it as i'm too old (64) to have op !!!to be honest its so bad at times that if i didn't have a dog to look after i'd take the pills to sleep forever!!! as i'm not getting much sleep with the pain :-(

numbnuts

Legendary Member
went to doctor and she basicly said i have to put up with it as i'm too old (64) to have op !!!to be honest its so bad at times that if i didn't have a dog to look after i'd take the pills to sleep forever!!! as i'm not getting much sleep with the pain :-(
I'm 63 and having (hopefully) in April an operation on L4/5 decompression and I may have fusion as well, been told I may be out of action for three months.

vickster

Legendary Member
Have you had a scan to identify the cause. Have they suggested physio, a back brace or something else non surgical, swimming?

Drago

Legendary Member
Yes, suffered badly some years ago. Work sorted me out with a sheet hot physio and over several sessions he manipulated the nerve to a fractionally different position, just enough to relieve the pressure. Apart for the occasional light twinge I'm completely mended. The guy was the Da Vinci of physios in my book.

My grandfather was operated on for a pace maker last summer at 91. He then went on to have another op in December for a stent at 92. Totally different ops, I know, but don't let your gp make the decision. Get the consultant to once a full diagnosis has been made. Each case should be looked at individually not by the book! They operated on my grandfather because his cancer was in remission and as far as they were were concerned his health age was 20 years less than his physical age and the benefits outweighed the risks.

doog

I'm 63 and having (hopefully) in April an operation on L4/5 decompression and I may have fusion as well, been told I may be out of action for three months.

The fusion might keep you out of action for a hell of a lot longer than 3 months. Thats the only reason im holding back, I was told 60% success rate as well. A guy next to me had decompression surgery (he was in his 80;s)....an instant success, up and out of ward before the rest of us young uns...saw him in the follow ups, he was a new man, walking cycling and totally pain free.

Top Bottom