Sickening

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Blonde

Just saw nasty accident near the uni. well I saw the results, not the accident itself so I couldn't be of much use as a witness. I don't know if the guy was crossing the road, (it was on a corner with a ped. crossing) walking in the road, on the edge of the pavement, or what, but I just heard a loud crack, looked and saw a body spinning upwards and outwards from the side of a bus and thought for a moment he had fallen out of it... but the doors were closed. There had been a loud crack which was really horrible when you saw what had happened. It could have been the bus hitting him, his leg braking or his head smacking the floor or railings - I don't know which. The bus stopped. Anyway the upshot is that I think he'll be OK - he was sitting up straight away, head bleeding profusely and unable to move his leg, but able to talk. A large crowd gathered immediately and someone called 999 before I even got my phone out of my bag. I went in the nearest cafe to get tea towels, as someone else was talking to the injured man and trying to stem flow with small tissues, but two guys had already beaten me to it and were just being handed towels by bar staff as I arrived. All I could do was pass them to the guy kneeling in front of the injured man and tell him to press on the wound firmly with the towels. He seemed a bit phased by the fact that there wasn't much left of the forehead to press against but did it anyway. The ambulance arrived, so I left as there wasn't anything else I could do anyway but I do feel quite shaken by it. I wonder if he was a student. Very bad start to the term if so! Poor guy. xx(

stevenb

Very nasty indeed. pat on the back for the effort to help though...I go sqeamish with things like this.....
lets hope the chap recovers and is ok.
it might be on the local news tonight.....

Globalti

Legendary Member
Once when I was a student I jaywalked straight out in front of a builders' van. I heard the buzz of tyres on wet tarmac and turned round to find the bonnet of the van resting against my leg. Poor driver and his mate looked pretty shocked.

Had a bad experience in Khartoum - heading for the airport, my driver crossed a dual carriageway with another car crossing beside us when suddenly a brown shape flew through the air over our bonnet and hit the side of a bus coming the opposite way, slid down and landed in a crumpled heap. It was a motorcyclist, who had failed to stop and had hit the car beside us, going straight over the bonnet. He actually sat up looking stunned so I told the driver "yalla yalla" and we crunched over the bits of the bike and carried on to catch my plane. It had all happened before we had even realised.

buggi

Bird Saviour
i saw a school kid get off the same bus as me, crossed the road in front of it and get run over by a passing car once. made me feel sick. he turned out to be ok.

another woman at the bus station near me not so long ago (i didn't see this thank god) got on a bus to ask the driver which way to town. he said to her "you need that bus over there luv" or something along those lines, so she legged it over the road as the bus was already at the stop... without looking. another bus was coming down the road and basically she got caught between two buses and got sliced down the middle. took half her head and torso. in front of her daughter who just dropped her off at the station. really nasty stuff. left a lot of people shocked and i heard both bus drivers were off work for a long time. most people would say they were milking it but i really do think, after hearing the details, they must have been distraught.

OP
OP
Blonde

Blonde

betty swollocks said:
Nasty, but very reassuring that so many kind people (including you) were prepared to help.
Hope he's ok.

It was even more reassuring that most people were not just kind (or curious) but also knew what to do as well. Not sure that a large crowd of curious but inactive onlookers is of much help on itself, but amongst them there were several people who were actively involved in ringing the emergency services, taking action to get the towels, stopping the blood flow, keeping him talking and also telling others not to move him or let him try to move. It was good to see that so many people know the basics of first aid.

Top Bottom