Siden

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
From "A Glossary of Words used in the Neighbourhood of Sheffield", by Sidney Oldall Addy - published for the English Dialect Society in 1888:

SIDE, v. to put away, to make tidy.
'Side away the dinner pots.'
But I don't recall ever hearing it used around here.
When I was a kid growing up in North Lancashire my friend who lived on a farm used this word. The only person I ever heard use it so maybe not part of local dialect. My family certainly didn't use it

alicat

Legendary Member
Never heard 'siden' growing up in Leeds.

alicat

Legendary Member
I have always thought Leeds has its own dialect, I can recognise a Loiner when hear one, perhaps it depends from which part of Leeds you grew up in, this post from Hunslet mentions siden, and I have heard all the others, Hunslet is the closest part of Leeds to us (Pontefract)

I grew up in and around Crossgates. I once went to interview a witness in the midlands and no sooner had I got inside the door when he said 'You come from Leeds, you come from Crossgates'. It turned out that he had gone to the same Catholic primary school as my father and me. I asked him how he knew where I was from and he said it was the way I pronounced 'Right' and used it as a filler word.

Top Bottom