siezed zips on Pannier bags

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by gary r, 7 May 2010.

1. gary r

gary r Veteran

my pannier bags have been left in the garage unused for a while,The zips have all siezed solid,I presume its the winter road salt & dirt.They are all covered in a white residue,Any idea what i can use to free the zips??

2. Norm

Norm Guest

If it is mostly road salt, then warm water should free it. Then some sort of silicone spray to stop it happening again.

3. Globalti

Globalti Legendary Member

Put them in the washing machine then try again.

4. Goldfang

Goldfang New Member

Gary, rub a piece of candle stub along the zips, do it on the reverse side if you are worried about it looking odd White bits everywhere at first! I used to live in the Falklands and we used this on any kit exposed to the elements.

5. OP
    OP
    gary r

gary r Veteran

Nice tip.I will try it if i manage to get the zips free!!! :wacko:

6. hubgearfreak

hubgearfreak Über Member

7. Gerry Attrick

Gerry Attrick Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant

8. andrew_s

andrew_s Guru

The white powder is probably corroded aluminium from the zip slider rather than salt, and it's quite likely that the slider will break while trying to get it free. Probably anything that would have an effect on the aluminium oxide (eg caustic soda) would wreck the pannier.

I'd try the washing machine first, followed by GT85 or some similar spray on lubricant, before trying to force the zip too hard.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice