siezed zips on Pannier bags

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gary r

Guru
my pannier bags have been left in the garage unused for a while,The zips have all siezed solid,I presume its the winter road salt & dirt.They are all covered in a white residue,Any idea what i can use to free the zips??

Norm

If it is mostly road salt, then warm water should free it. Then some sort of silicone spray to stop it happening again.

Goldfang

Gary, rub a piece of candle stub along the zips, do it on the reverse side if you are worried about it looking odd White bits everywhere at first! I used to live in the Falklands and we used this on any kit exposed to the elements.

OP
OP
G

gary r

Guru
Goldfang said:
Gary, rub a piece of candle stub along the zips, do it on the reverse side if you are worried about it looking odd White bits everywhere at first! I used to live in the Falklands and we used this on any kit exposed to the elements.

Nice tip.I will try it if i manage to get the zips free!!! :wacko:

andrew_s

Legendary Member
The white powder is probably corroded aluminium from the zip slider rather than salt, and it's quite likely that the slider will break while trying to get it free. Probably anything that would have an effect on the aluminium oxide (eg caustic soda) would wreck the pannier.

I'd try the washing machine first, followed by GT85 or some similar spray on lubricant, before trying to force the zip too hard.

Top Bottom