<sigh> Being picky now?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
I drafted a bus up a slight incline on the way home yesterday and was pedalling away nicely doing just over 22 mph....

...however, I then began wishing that the bloody bus would get a move on...

In this modern age of everything moving so fast - techonology, traffic, my tolerance level (downwards) for people stopping their cars in the ASL area... am I being too picky when I actually start wanting the vehicles who are assisting me to speed up, or have I fallen victim to the drug of speeding??? ;)

Tetedelacourse

Maybe you desire the opportunity to improve if you want to, and a bus which is assisting you and you're keeping up comfortably prevents the opportunity arising. Cos it's in yer flamin way!

Jeez it's definitely Friday.

Tynan

Veteran
how the hell do you know when the bus might slow down suddenly?

not much visibility is there?

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Tynan said:

Buses are fitted with these funny little red lights which come on when the driver using the brakes...;)

Cab

Its very easy to sit behind a bus pootling along in the low 20s and think 'faster, faster, faster!', but you know, its a heck of a lot more work when the bus turns off and you're no longer drafting it. Learn to enjoy being stuck behind a bus at 22mph, its a free ride ;).

Arch

Married to Night Train
Hairy Jock;37632][QUOTE=Tynan said:

Buses are fitted with these funny little red lights which come on when the driver using the brakes...;)[/QUOTE]

Oh, Tynan has a point... By the time the brake lights come on, the bus will already be decellerating, because the foot's come off the gas. And if you're really close, your stopping distance will be way more than the distance you've got...

Behind a car, you'd probably see whatever it was slowing for and be braking at the same time. Difficult to see round or through a bus...:biggrin:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
no use to me as i'm no expert in the area of the pitch of the diesel engine at a given rpm.

and what if the driver has the clutch in?

domd1979

Veteran
Virtually all buses now are automatic ;) Other than a few Mercedes minibuses which have manual boxes, but they're generally disappearing now.

Bus stops ought to give a clue as to where the bus might stop!! And the left indicator, which ought to come on before braking.

alecstilleyedye said:
no use to me as i'm no expert in the area of the pitch of the diesel engine at a given rpm.

Cab

alecstilleyedye said:

Still makes a different noise as it slows down and speeds up.

bonj2

are you really asking for advice or just trying to boast about how fast you can cycle? ;)

Like:
"there's this stretch of road where I need to overtake the cars, what's the best method of doing it?"
and
"my brakes are very powerful but not powerful enough for me, what should I do?"
"look at me look at me everybody look how fast i can cycle..." :biggrin:
it bores me

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I remember when a mate and I drafted a big tractor with a huge trailer full of manure - nice 25-30 mph run - it wasn't until I got home did I realise I smelt like a barn !

Top Bottom