Signalling

How often do You Signal ?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pete

I think the 'only if there is someone to see your signal' is a valid one. Why signal on a lonely country lane with not a soul within half a mile of you?

But remember of course that the list of people with a 'need to know' includes everyone. That car coming up behind you, the car about to cross in front, the one coming out of the side road, the pedestrian waiting to cross, the other cyclist on the cycle path, etc. etc. If anyone is looking, signal.

Exceptions? The 'left hook' risk, mentioned above, is real and has happened to me. Play each situation as it comes. The other one is when I really do need both hands on the brakes. Downhill, slippery road, all that sort of stuff. I've at times relied on body language to give out the right message, but be careful! I've had near misses in this situation.

U

User482

Always when other vehicles or pedestrians are around. I signal before the junction, and then put my hand back on the bars before I need to make the turn.

PrettyboyTim

BentMikey said:
Both always is the wrong answer according to Cycle Training UK and the cycle instructor course I'm on at the moment. They suggest to signal only when there are other road users around. Not just behind you, and not just vehicles of course. The rest of the time, yes, you should signal. The theory goes that you must observe properly whether to signal or not, because this gets you into the habit of looking properly to be sure whether there is someone else around. I'm sold on the idea.

I don't agree with this as it assumes that somehow by just being observant you become omniscient as well. You can't be looking in all directions at once, and it's quite possible you may miss someone, especially a pedestrian.

I always try and signal - I don't see why it's any harder to get into the habit of always looking around before signalling as compared to always looking around and then deciding to signal.

snorri

Legendary Member
I've voted Both Always, but had the option been available, I would have voted 'both always when there is someone around to see my signal, otherwise I do not signal'.

Mostly, but

• Only if there's someone there to see it (most of my cycling is rural so generally easy enough to tell, but if in doubt I'd rather indicate to an empty road than risk not signalling to the driver I haven't noticed who subsequently knocks me off).
  • Not if it's going to lead to dangerous confusion (e.g. don't indicate left if there are two left turns close together, you want the second one but there's someone coming-out of the first one who might think you're going in there)
  • Occasionally not when I daren't take a hand off the bars & brakes (potholes, downhill, slippery, etc) : this usually only applies to turning left or turning-out of a T-junction, etc where road positioning suffices
  • And sometimes not if I'm in a gaggle of cyclists on the Sunday Run and there's already half a dozen others indicating ! ;)

col

Legendary Member
I thought,only if there is someone there to see it, is the accepted norm?

OP
OP
HLaB

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
I think I need to signal more in the future ;)

The car was about 30-40yards back and dropping and I assumed that looking often moving towards the right hand side of the nearside lane then to the middle of the right turn lane was obvious, perhaps not.

I'm a little wary of signaling too often as seems to be a signal to the following car to overtake, which can be a bit hairy when its a van only 2 yards behind me but thats no excuse; she was in a slowing car 40 yards back and I should of signaled xx(

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I always signal right (assuming there's someone to see it) but rarely left. For some reason I don't have the balance to indicate left, my right arm wobbles a lot, so I generally just lurch left. Not quite sure what that's all about.

Cheddar George

oober member
Very little on quiet country roads, just check the road behind. Almost always in traffic/towns, however i do have a few right handers at the bottom of a hill/bridge where, like HLaB, i rely more on road position due to the fact i need my right hand for the front brake.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I always signal. With respect to mini roundabouts they used to be the bane of my life in York, it was usually where I saw the worst driving - failure to indicate, driving the wrong way round a roudabout, failure to give way (sometimes twice), overtaking on a roundabout.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Fab Foodie said:
PHEW!

I go with this too, signal when necessary.
Agree on Left signalling too and mostly onl do so when there is somebody standing by the left exit that might cross or if I know there is another bike on my wheel.

LOL, I think it was you who posted this before, and I remembered thinking it sounded like a good idea at the time.

PrettyboyTim said:
I don't agree with this as it assumes that somehow by just being observant you become omniscient as well. You can't be looking in all directions at once, and it's quite possible you may miss someone, especially a pedestrian.

According to CTUK this is an indication that you aren't looking properly. You have to be absolutely certain who is around you before manouvering. I must admit I'm taken with their logic and agree with it.

snorri

Legendary Member
PrettyboyTim said:

I felt much the same as you Tim, but was told that he who signals at every turn is in effect on auto pilot, and unlikely to be maintaining adequate levels of observation.

Top Bottom