Signs we're living in the future

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
Another sign we're living in the future: the need to update software. Constantly. In the past humans could go centuries with essentially the same techology; now it's old and ready to hang your computer practically as soon as it's been reviewed. As my wife has said, "I'm grateful the people who are making things now weren't around when real inventions were being made."

Some of us don't want to live our lives updating apps and possibly losing what we had (→ Google Maps, permanent offline saving of ←) for the sake of a new bell or whistle or business model.

damnyougoogle.jpg

And how many times does Flash have to be downloaded till they get it right???

Yes, I know a lot of this stuff is free so it's hard to complain. Also that if I'm not the customer I'm the product. If you want to be part of the freebie system (who doesn't?), even if you don't (R.I.P. Macromedia Fireworks), you're locked into this cycle of abuse now and forevermore.

Last edited:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
flash%20copy_zpsfzpdhnaq.jpg

OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
Predictive text on my smartyphone suggested "Richards" to follow "Keith". The Rolling Stones have followed us to the future.

keithR.jpg

Also: I'm glad to see the pitchforks out for Flash.

Last edited:

perplexed

Guru
I think if you're over forty, there is a dawning realisation that in many cases, the work environment will endlessly re-invent the wheel.

In the revolving door of 'executive' land, the new kid just has to make his of her mark. Ultimately though, everyone gets on with it the best they can, and despite a million new initiatives/projects/leads/protocols or whatever they're called this week, you realise the outcome and quality of the result is exactly the same as 25 years ago.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
I think if you're over forty, there is a dawning realisation that in many cases, the work environment will endlessly re-invent the wheel.

In the revolving door of 'executive' land, the new kid just has to make his of her mark. Ultimately though, everyone gets on with it the best they can, and despite a million new initiatives/projects/leads/protocols or whatever they're called this week, you realise the outcome and quality of the result is exactly the same as 25 years ago.

I hate to think how many reorganisations I went through. And politics is just the same.

Rezillo

TwoSheds

In the course of over 20 years at my last employer, we went through four major organisation structure changes. Each of these required over a year's planning and also sucked in huge management resources such that most managers were involved in restructuring rather than taking care of their day to day responsibilites. It then took anything up to 18 months for operating under the new structure to settle down and resolve all the problems it caused. I dread to think how much this all cost.

The process went something like: 1. New CE arrives 2. Massive change sh*tstorm because everything previous CE did was clearly obsolete/inefficient/unfit for purpose. 3. New CE departs for better paid job with a cv claiming competence in managing radical change. 4. The survivors survey the smoking ruins of what the departing CE left behind.

When I left, the structure in place had gone a complete circle and was largely the same as it was when I started there.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
In the course of over 20 years at my last employer, we went through four major organisation structure changes. Each of these required over a year's planning and also sucked in huge management resources such that most managers were involved in restructuring rather than taking care of their day to day responsibilites. It then took anything up to 18 months for operating under the new structure to settle down and resolve all the problems it caused. I dread to think how much this all cost.

The process went something like: 1. New CE arrives 2. Massive change sh*tstorm because everything previous CE did was clearly obsolete/inefficient/unfit for purpose. 3. New CE departs for better paid job with a cv claiming competence in managing radical change. 4. The survivors survey the smoking ruins of what the departing CE left behind.

When I left, the structure in place had gone a complete circle and was largely the same as it was when I started there.

I had no idea that I worked with someone who frequents CycleChat. Although saying that we have been round in circles at least twice. I forget how many times I have switched from a regional team to a global one and back again.

perplexed

Guru

That's the one.

Top Bottom