Silence is golden..... or is it when it comes to freehubs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RegG

Über Member
I've been looking round at wheel upgrades for my Bianchi which is currently running on Fulcrum Racing 5's. The freehub is not too noisy but is far from silent..... The original Giant wheels on my Giant Defy (winter bike) are virtually silent but are clearly a cheap wheel.

I've looked at Hunt, Mavic, Campagnolo and Fulcrum wheels and they all seem to have a louder freehub noise in varying degrees.

I do like a quiet freehub but is it a case that the better quality ones are by nature noisier? Is it better to just keep pedalling and enjoy the silence or put up with a bit of noise when freewheeling?!!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I much prefer quiet freehubs

vickster

Legendary Member
I like them clicky :biggrin: but not as loud as some Mavic!

The Fulcrums aren’t that bad, on an par with my Novatech handbuilts

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Quiet is best IMO. I like the standard Shimano freehub noise, quiet enough to be unobtrusive but reassuringly there if you listen for it on a quiet road. Most of the time you don't even register it, they just work.

The noisy ones should be banned as a source of noise pollution, along with Garmin/GPS devices that emit that annoying BEEP to tell anyone within 30ft that you have just stopped or started moving again!!! :cursing:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Noisy ones are great for waking up dozy pedestrians who wander out in front of the bike. Back-pedalling usually makes them even noisier, for added effect! I would prefer them to be quieter though - I can always shout at people who don't look before stepping out into the road.

I have some wheels with noisy Campagnolo and Mavic freehubs, but my noisiest freehub is the Hope one on my MTB.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Shimano hubs are virtually silent. Hope, Mavic and many others not so.
For true class you need Campagnolo hubs as sampled by Kraftwerk.....

I’m ambivalent about hub noise.... like any self-respecting cyclist, you should be pedalling not freewheeling ;-)

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire

D

Deleted member 1258

I prefer them quiet, but as Colin has said noisy ones are great for waking pedestrians, the original freehub on my Eastway was a quiet as a church mouse, its replacement is like a demented football rattle.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I don't have high enough gears/cadence! (For short periods I can manage 120-130 rpm but I prefer 90-100 max.)

I sacrifice big gears to get lower gears for the tough local climbs. The highest gear on any of my bikes is only 48/12 but it used to be 52/14 or 48/13.
Shhh... I have the same ;-)

Top Bottom