Silly BBC appeal to cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My response to the email:

Thanks for your reply.

I’d like to see the emphasis placed on people’s reasons for cycling in London and the positive contribution it makes to the health of the city. Imagine if all those cyclists were back in cars!

I’d also like to see the Advanced Stop Line explained, and its importance for cyclists’ safety. I’d like to see a lot of emphasis given to giving cyclists adequate room, especially when passing.

In fact, if you wanted to make a cracking programme, I suggest you get a taxi driver or car commuter onto a bike for a week. Film attitudes before and after. Taxi drivers are among the worst drivers with the poorest attitude to cyclists. That would be worth viewing.

Edit: just got a response from the producer to say that they "would get cracking on those ideas". Next week - watch "Cabswap" as overweight, short-tempered, agressive bigot Eddie swaps his taxi for a pushbike and gets killed at the next set of traffic lights.

RPM

But seriously, it's a bloody good idea, I'm sure it'll happen soon, regardless.

there's always a throng of programs that put people well out of their element.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
just got a response from the producer to say that they "would get cracking on those ideas". Next week - watch "Cabswap" as overweight, short-tempered, agressive bigot Eddie swaps his taxi for a pushbike and gets killed at the next set of traffic lights.

Excellent suggestion 20" !!!

Just had a call from the Vanessa Feltz show on London Radio asking whether I'd like to give my views on cycling live on the show tomorrow. never heard her show so no idea of her style, but I imagine there'll be some provocative questions. I'll let you know.

skwerl

Twenty Inch said:
Just had a call from the Vanessa Feltz show on London Radio asking whether I'd like to give my views on cycling live on the show tomorrow. never heard her show so no idea of her style, but I imagine there'll be some provocative questions. I'll let you know.

me too. can't do it though. I'll record the show an listen later

RPM

don't do it.

last time they had some right prats giving anti-cycling views.

so much so that Robert Elms felt the need to say a few words* about it on his show afterwards!

*pro cycling of course

Well, they phoned me at about 10.20, put me through to the show at the end of Ken Livingstone's piece supporting cyclists (he even understands and defend red light jumping). I waited for 15-20 minutes to be put through to Vanessa herself, before giving up and going back to work.

Don't know whether it's normal practise to get people hanging on in the hope that they'll be asked to give their tuppence' worth, but couldn't be bothered, especially as those cyclists who I heard were reasonable and making very good arguments.

Anyone else listen?

Don't know, it was London Radio, I don't know whether they do listen again.

Tynan

Veteran
here's mine, top of the dreaded Seven Sisters hill so sir arrives at the crest slow and knackered

fast road filters in from the left hand and behind side

so they've but in a handy 90 degree turn to help you cross the filter lane, and it's immediately after you've passed the line of cars all desperate to turn right across you

it's very very stupid indeed

Top Bottom