Silly place names

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The next village to Stansted where I lived is Ugley.

image.jpg

And yes, they do have a Women's Instuite!

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
The next village to Stansted where I lived is Ugley.

View attachment 60272

And yes, they do have a Women's Instuite!
I know it well.

My first ever club, the Easterley RC have a country bungalow there along with about half a dozen other east London outfits (Collectively known as the 32nd association because time trials used to start at the nearby 32nd milestone on the old A11). They were all built (Mainly self built) by the clubs themselves in the late fifties when land was cheap and the variety of trades and skills of the members were put to good use.

And the locals pronounce it "Yoogley", not surprisingly).

U

User33236

There's a hill near Campbeltown called The B'stard (name edited for swear filter ^_^ )

There is always Dynów in Poland...

(this probably needs a quote from my journal to make any sense.)
Cycling into one town, we landed in the middle of utter chaos with the roads, a new dual carriage way bypass going in and a whole load of learners under tuition at the same time. It did not help that the road surface was awful at this point, to the point where we had to take up quite a lot of the lane and weave around holes and the likes.... In the middle of all this chaos Stuart announces to me 'this may not be appropriate at this moment in time, but we are going to die now' - WHAT?.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The locals will know "Peover" - most folks say "Pee Over" - it's actually pronounced 'Peever'. The locals get rather upset.

Doesn't help when you have:-

Peover
Over Peover
Lower Peover

Etc... Think I got about 4 photos on the 'photo challenge' a few years back.

Top Bottom