Silly van driver

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yorkshiregoth

Master of all he surveys
Cycling home from work this morning and as I was riding through here a white van drove into the traffic island as he was going past me. The front passenger light was damaged and part of his bumper I think but he didn't stop and when he came past me again, he started shouting at me and trying to blame me saying I should have been riding on the pavement. I think he was too busy ogling a bit of skirt.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Hahahaha! Sorry, it must have been upsetting for you, but what karma return for the driver.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
If you really wanted to be mean and have video, send an email to the council explaining what happened and give the van details so they can claim for the new bollard off the driver's insurance.

Waiting at the lights on the advanced area for cyclists Ipositioned myself to the right of a fellow cyclist who was turning left and immediately in front of a Addison-Lee van. There is me, complete with Hi-viz jacket almost directly in front of him when the lights change. I start off, moving gently across to my left to make room for traffic behind when the aforementioned van driver charges past me. I feel the side of his van push me over to the left followed by the clunking of his mirror as it makes contact with my shoulder. This was enough for him to pull back. I turned and gave him a bit of an earful but, as it hadn't really hurt me at all I carried on. When I got to work all the lads said I should have gone down like a sack of potatos, but it all happened so quickly and to be honest I was more worried about my bike....how daft is that? Lesson learned though, never assume that you have given drivers enough room - they always want more.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
:girl:

Isn't it amazing that white van drivers are never in the wrong :smile:

I think the sound of the bang would have spooked me a little if I was where you were. Very funny from here though :laugh:

If they damaged the passenger side, does that mean he was on the wrong side of the road at the traffic island?

Armegatron

Love watching some of my vids back, and seeing how people gamble with the traffic island. Yet to see one launch though, but had some close calls. I think the problem is that I see the island, look behind, signal, move into a gap where appropriate, and the driver just doesnt register the island and is concentrating on "the bloody cyclist thats holding him/her up" - hence totally forgets the island is there :biggrin:

Landslide

Rare Migrant
TheBoyBilly said:
Addison-Lee

There's your clue.

Armegatron

Just had one, video to follow when the Police have dealt with it. Im doing 20mph on a 30mph road. Approaching island. Driver behind slowly comes up behind me as Im taking primary. I check just before the island and think, "oh hes staying behind me - good man" - only to be suprised by him nigh on mounting the island and giving me a camera frame full of A pillar! Very close overtake, very silly overtake - so I beep the horn. He then slows down and opens the passenger window, shouting "theres a cycle path there". Then I notice the mobile phone in his hand and he is using it not only while driving, but while having a barney with me for doing something that Im perfectly entitled to do!

I memorise the registration (cough cough: *S921 CUG*) and call the plod :blush: I explained it all and an officer will be over shortly to review the footage, take a statement and hopefully shove his boot up the drivers arse.

Anyone reading this who is wondering whether to get a camera or not - trust me, its definatly worth it! The guy is clearly visible holding a phone while driving. Now all I need is a rear cam... :evil:

Top Bottom