Silver cyclist returning to cycling in retirement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

silverdave

Hi,
Just joined and need some advice please!
Am returning to cycling after a working life and want to buy a mountain bike that has suspension to cycle the canal tow paths around Bradford on Avon area.
I'm 64 and 5ft 10 and in good general health.
Any recommendations please?
I've been to Halfords but don't find them particularly helpful.
Don't want to spend a fortune either at my age!!

Thanks.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Hi,
Just joined and need some advice please!
Am returning to cycling after a working life and want to buy a mountain bike that has suspension to cycle the canal tow paths around Bradford on Avon area.
I'm 64 and 5ft 10 and in good general health.
Any recommendations please?
I've been to Halfords but don't find them particularly helpful.
Don't want to spend a fortune either at my age!!

Thanks.
Why not? I am one year younger than you and I have spent quite a bit on cycling, 2 road bikes and lots of gear. You can't take it with you , so enjoy yourself. I don't drink or smoke, too old to womanise so cycling is my hobby. Go on,
treat yourself, you have worked all your life, so reap the rewards now.

Sorry but don't know much about mtb. Hi though and I hope you gain a mountain of good cycling memories!!!

ScotiaLass

Guru
Hi and :welcome:
I have a mountain bike with front suspension and I ride a lot of towpaths as well as light trails and woods.
To be perfectly honest, a mountain bike isn't needed if all you're doing with it is riding towpaths.
If the towpaths are very rough then front suspension may be useful, although you may find the upright position of a hybrid better and it will cope fine with towpaths.

I chose a mountain bike as I have always ridden them and am used to the position, as well as it allowing me to go into the woods and ride on rougher ground.
I'd also advise you take a look at your local bike shop instead of Halfords. Try a few different places and a few different bikes, then decide :smile:

ayceejay

Guru
You would be better off taking yourself into Bath where there are a couple of decent bike shops. Personally I find those clunky tyres off putting and if you are riding tow paths I doubt that you need them. Speak to a knowledgeable dealer and look at cyclocross bikes too while you are at it.
Incidentally most men live into their 80's these days so you have another 16 years to get a return on your investment so invest wisely.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi and :welcome: Silverdave.

I'll echo what @ScotiaLass says: unless the towpaths are extremely rough you don't really need a mountain bike for the kind of riding you describe. I frequently ride gravel trails and the odd bridleway on these:
DSC01659.JPG DSC02269.JPG

What kind of budget were you thinking of? It would help us give suggestions if we have an idea of what you wanted to spend.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
:welcome: @silverdave!
Confirming that a hybrid with no suspension and some puncture resistant tyres (Marathon plus :whistle:) kept at the correct pressure will do the job nicely.
Today I ended up in a quagmire by navigation error on slick city tyres :blush: made it out to tell the tale :laugh:

22dropout

Regular
:welcome:

compo

Veteran
@silverdave you are only a little whippersnapper, I am 67 in a few weeks. I have a hybrid and often ride towpaths and off road cycle tracks. The bike is perfectly capable of coping with those conditions. I must admit though for roughish ground I do prefer my MTB, I feel a lot more at ease on it with it's big tyres.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Good morning Silverdave, welcome to the forum. I have cycled quite a bit of the K&A canal and whilst you don't need a mountian bike I suggest you might be comfortable with a hybrid with front suspension. As @Dark46 says go to TT cycle by the lock on Frome Road in Bradford Up Avon and they will advise you. I've had very good service from the chaps in that shop. Enjoy your riding, the canal in your neck of the woods has some great rides, one can easily ride to Bath or Devizes in a morning.

Ruthie

Über Member
Hello! Welcome to the forum, I'm fairly new here myself but it's a friendly place. I've been having a similar conversation with a colleague who is looking for the same advice as you Silverdave, I'll watch this thread with interest as I had no idea how to advise him.

Top Bottom