Silvercrest solar charger

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I am often looking out for a solar charger but the reviews are always varied and I never take the plunge.

While I was in Aldis yesterday I came across the Silvercrest Solar Charger SLS 2200 C2, it cost about £10 and I couldnt resist, so bought one.
Im not a technocal Buff and I am writing this thread just in case anyone else is looking for one and comes across this whist shopping.

The capacity is 2200mAh. The charger can be charged from a computer or the mains using a USB which is supplied with it and acts like a normal power bank. There are 4 bar indicators on the front to show how much charge is in the Unit. When I switched it on from new, 3 bars lit up. I attached my phone which was at about 30% and the solar Unit sent it to 100% in about an hour, using 1 bar of power. I think It would charge my empty phone, possibly 2 or 3 times.

Over the next couple of days I will see if I can get the sun to charge the Unit. If that doesnt work, I will take it into the mountains of Italy next week and try it there. But even as a power bank I think it was worth a tenner.

I will come back with more results.

Has anyone else bought this Unit and tried it?

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
No, but if I see one, I will buy it, as it sounds useful even if the solar bit is not very powerful.

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
I bought one a year or two ago for my daughter to take to festivals etc.
No idea how it has performed, she hasn't complained about it though!

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I turned it out into the sun this morning at 0740 with 2 bars lit. It has been sunny all day and is now 14.30 and still only 2 bars are lit. Not much use with solar by the look of it. But the power bank side of things work OK.

Dont waste your money.

Thanks for the review. I could have easily bought it myself.

The capacity is 2200mAh. The charger can be charged from a computer or the mains using a USB which is supplied with it and acts like a normal power bank. There are 4 bar indicators on the front to show how much charge is in the Unit. When I switched it on from new, 3 bars lit up. I attached my phone which was at about 30% and the solar Unit sent it to 100% in about an hour, using 1 bar of power. I think It would charge my empty phone, possibly 2 or 3 times.

There's something wrong here, too. Your phone (unless it is not a smart phone) will have a battery capacity > 1Ah, probably closer to 2Ah. So, there is no way you could get 2 charges out this battery, entropy and all that. I'd guess the bars don't reflect the true state of the battery. But you've already established it's no good :smile:

Sailorsi

Recumbents - Exercise whilst lying down
I got myself a 2nd hand one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Powemonkey-..._UL160_SR120,160_&refRID=0FZV0JG0W9RDB89K4YHB
The Solar panel takes a while to charge the cells unless its really sunny but it comes with a usb and mains adaptor. Ideal for an overnighter if you don't have a facility to plug your phone in. Power Monkey have introduced a new model so these are going cheaper.

Yes been a major problem for years how to charge your tecno camping.
This may be the way forward.

Just got new phone with turbo charge 2 technology.
They claim 10% too 80% charge in just fifteen minutes.
So just a wash brush up and I will be back up and running.

Also they have upgraded power banks to turbo 2: try for size
http://www.easyacc.com/media-center/top-5-best-quick-charge-power-bank/
About to put my solar charger on Ebay

Last edited:

contadino

Veteran
Thanks for the review. In a similar vein, I've run some tests on the battery bank that I got last summer and discovered that it loses charge after about 10 days. I think it may be common to many lithium ion batteries because I had a couple of friends try theirs too. Different brands, same issue. Sometimes a week sometimes two..

Not necessarily a problem if you know in advance.

*Dusty*

Returning Hero.
Solar chargers don't work particularly well in the UK. Florida, grand canyon, deserts and places like the canary islands have more success with them.

Better to buy a large capacity power bank which will give you half a dozen charges on your device before needing recharged itsself.

these are pretty good if slightly bulky for a bike.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/EC-Technolo...23_lp_t_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=06R8AWWQKJS5X607G5S5

If you only need one for an overnighter one of these should give you a full charge or near enough, they're also very portable :smile:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/EPCTEK-Exte...d=1460978940&sr=1-2&keywords=small+power+bank

Thanks for the review. In a similar vein, I've run some tests on the battery bank that I got last summer and discovered that it loses charge after about 10 days. I think it may be common to many lithium ion batteries because I had a couple of friends try theirs too. Different brands, same issue. Sometimes a week sometimes two..
That's not right. Li-ion keep their charge for months. NiMH used to bleed power - newer versions have fixed this - but they took way more than 10 days to discharge. I've had no problem with self-discharge with Li-ion batteries of any sort, and have been using external batteries for about 6 years. Mobile phones switch off and left in a drawer usually have most of the power left when you turn them back on, and I have a tiny bt headset that claims it will go into deep sleep and keep power for 5 months.

I think your battery has some fault in it's circuitry. I'd be reluctant to use it, as faulty li-ion batteries can explode :ohmy:

spectacular version of what can happen if you mistreat a battery.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkP-b1ADvbk&feature=youtu.be&t=219

Top Bottom